Bern Baby Bern

Bern Travel Blog

Up at 6am to get to Munich Airport and my flight to Bern. This was a bargain courtesy of BMI's Diamond Club (3,000 miles plus £40 tax). There were 30 or so mostly businessmen on the plane so I stuck out a bit in my jeans and t-shirt.

Considering Bern is the capital of Switzerland, its airport is tiny and makes Leeds-Bradford look like Heathrow. Anyway caught the airport bus to Bern railway station, stashed my bag in a locker and went for a wander.

Bern is really no more than a town (population around 120,000) but has a really nice feel about it. The Altstadt (old town) has lots of narrow cobbled streets with shops selling all sort of nice souvenirs. Spent some time oogling Swiss Army Knives but decided that buying another one would be totally unnecessary.

Walked through the town to the Nydeggbrucke bridge and took some nice pictures of the town Initially pleased to see that there are no longer bears on display in the Bärengraben pits but unfortunately the city is currently building a new area for bears that opens later in the year.

Looked in a few places to eat but baulked when I saw the prices (CHF 40/£23 for a main course). It has been a few years since I have been to Switzerland and the weakness of Sterling at present makes things worse. Ended up having a croque monsuier and a coke for lunch (£6) I will have to live frugally (for Switzerland) on the last part of my trip.

Went into the Einstein House, where Albert Einstein lived between 1903 and 1905 and it was here where he developed his Special Theory of Relativity while working for the Patent Office.

It was a bit of a disappointment as the place is basically 4 small rooms, 2 of which are furnished . I left none the wiser about special relativity and walked back to the railway station.

Now Swiss trains are legendary in their promptness and now was my chance to put this to the test. I am staying in Murren tonight and the connection was Bern – Interlaken Ost (6 minutes to change trains), Interlanken Ost – Lauterbrunnen (5 minutes to change), cable-car to Grutschalp and then the local railway to Murren. Everything worked with typical Swiss efficiency and I arrived bang on time. As a treat I am staying in a proper hotel tonight with my own room, so I decided to take full advantage of the facilities and went for a swim.

Bern