EuropeNorwayFlam

Day 15: From Gudvangen to Flam

Flam Travel Blog

The way from Gudvangen to Flam isn't very far - just maybe 20 km or so. Since the weather was a bit better than the day before we decided to go by Flamsbana (Flam's railroad) to Myrdal and hike the Rallarvegen downhill back to Flam which is approximately 22 km.

The Rallarvegen is the old railroad workers road and nowadays a hiking and biking trail. One of the most beautiful ones in the world I assume.

Our train left at 1.35 p.m. and we had some time for preparations like packing some food and water, controlling the batteries of the camera etc. before our trip started.
Our train
Finally we left Flam's station. The Flamsbana is famous because it negotiate a steep incline of 1:18 and some people say it's the most beautiful railroad trip of the world. I don't know if it's true but it was beautiful.

The single track line is 20.2 km long. The top station Myrdal is 865 metres above sea level, while Flam is by the fjord at sea level. In order to manage the climb up the mountainside, the line twists and turns and has twenty tunnels to gain altitude. There is a crossing (passing) loop at Berekvam station to allow trains going up and down at the same time. There's a 5 minutes stop at the Kjosfoss waterfall to take photos.

Since I'm not well trained in long distance hikes I wanted to reach at least Berekvam station which is almost half way. Around 2.30 p.m. we've reached Myrdal. We found the sign to the Rallarvegen and started our hike.
Klaus studying the map
The brochure says you need 5 - 6 hours (without a break) for the way down but since I'm a enthusiastic photographer add some hours ;)

There were lots of rocks and loose gravel at the first section but after about 3 km the road was in better condition. We were overwhelmed by the beauty of the valley. The waterfalls, rivers, mountains, little farm houses, a tiny tunnel. I'm lost for words. Look at the photos they say more than I ever could.

The hiking went better as I thought and we left Berekvam behind us and did the 4.5 km to Dalsbotn where we've entered the train again to drive back the last 7 km to Flam since it was late already. All the photography stops needed more time as we've calculated ;)

All in all it was a beautiful day :) A dream came true and I did it better as I've expected.

CFD says:
Great trip! Ive done this a lot of times myself since ive worked in Flåm several summers as a boatcrew. Its a really good way to relax and get away from the "busy" Flåm..
Posted on: Aug 20, 2010
tvillingmarit says:
You really have experienced some parts of Norways west coast.
Posted on: Aug 20, 2009
5 minutes stop for taking photos
5 minutes stop for taking photos
At Myrdal station
At Myrdal station
Up from Myrdal down to Flam its a…
Up from Myrdal down to Flam it's …
I go my own way!!
I go my own way!!
Cake for lunch
Cake for lunch
We had guests for lunch ;)
We had guests for lunch ;)
Buddy making friends ;)
Buddy making friends ;)
The end of our hike. There was sti…
The end of our hike. There was st…
A pub