Day 1: From Papenburg to Farö

Vordingborg Travel Blog

Sunset over Fehmarnbelt captured from the ferry
My bf Klaus and me made a road trip to Norway with my camper in June 2009. We've been on the road for 3 weeks and we drove exactly 4,144 km (= 2,590 miles). Since we've been in the south of Norway last year we wanna see Central Norway this time. We've choosen the west area between Oslo and Kristiansund where you can find lots of cultural and natural attractions as the Viking ship Museum in Oslo, the Nationalparks of Jostedalsbreen and Jotunheimen and beautiful places like the Geiranger Fjord, Trollstigen and Alesund.

The week before we left I was busy with preparations at the camper. Checking all technical things like tire pressure and oil level etc., cleaning the camper from inside and outside, filling up fresh water and chemicals for the toilet and waste water tank, installing new gas bottles for cooking and the fridge, packing all clothes and things we'll need (or not need ;) ) That's the awful thing with camping.
There's lots of work before you go and lots of work when you come back but for me it's a great way to travel. Just staying whereever you want and as long as you want. Nobody bothers you with fixed times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can come and go as you want.

We started at 3.3o pm on a friday afternoon.  I had to work until 1 pm. Then we packed all the food in the fridge, the dog's bed and the dog into the camper, said bye bye to my mom and off we went.

We were surprised that there wasn't much traffic on the german motorway A1. Usually it's very crowded on friday's and we calculated at least 2 hours for traffic jams but we had luck - no traffic jam this time. After 4 hours we reached the port of Puttgarden where we entered the ferry to Rödby / Danmark.
It's a fast cruise of about 45 minutes and we saw an amazing sunset while cruising the Fehmarnbelt.

Around 10.30 pm we reached the planned destination for the day. We stayed at a rest area which is located near the city of Vordingsborg. It's a place called Farö. Although it's not an official camp ground you find hundreds of campers, motorhomes and trailer there during the summer. It's a nice place at the banks of a sund.

After a short walk with "Buddy" the dog and a beer for Klaus and red wine for me we went to bed after an exhausting day.
anupa_rk says:
Posted on: Aug 20, 2009
peruana28 says:
Great Blog I wish to go there sooner too ;D
Posted on: Aug 07, 2009
Sunset over Fehmarnbelt captured f…
Sunset over Fehmarnbelt captured …
The Storstrommen sund at Farö