AsiaJapanTokyo

Searching for the elusive grassy knoll

Tokyo Travel Blog

my noodle place in Asukusa

Wow, i am severely hung over.  I must have drank more Chu-Hi's than i thought.  The strong ones will get ya.  After getting kicked out of the capsule for the daily cleaning, i went in search of a park/grass bed to nurse my hangover.  But first i had breakfast at the noodle shop.

My first stop was Ueno Park.  I walked around this large park for about an hour, but did not find an area suitable for lounging.  The majority of the park consisted of walkways that snaked through the park, with a smattering of metal benches.  There were several large baseball diamonds inside the park, and a few people performing stunts/magic tricks for money.  A nice park for sure, but not what i was looking for.

The next park was located near the Imperial Palace, but i forget the name.  This park was slightly smaller with less trees and less shade, but it was more lively.

inside Hakonesoba
  There were 2 different bands playing on 2 different stages at the same time.  Food vendors were preparing food for the hungry, but alas no area to sit/lay in the grass.  There was a large rectangle of grass in the park with the sign:  "KEEP OFF GRASS", they must have known i was coming.

I gave up on my quest to sleep off my hangover and went to Shibuya.  I walked around for a few hours and headed back to the capsule hotel.  My transformation into a Tokyo-ite took one large step on the way to the hotel, i fell asleep on the train.

I walked the streets of Asakusa searching for dinner and came across a yakinuki place.

delicious soba
  I asked to see the menu and some Americans spotted me and said that this place was good and why dont i just sit down and eat.  So i ordered some meat for 1,400 yen, and it turned out to be a very small portion.  I ordered some rice to accompany the steak, the meat was marinated to perfection, and the price is definitely worth it.

After dinner i met up with the Russians and Johan in the lobby of the capsule hotel.  I wanted to see what Shibuya was like at night, so i dragged my friends on the tube and we headed out.  Shibuya was still crazy with people.  We searched for a bar to belly up to, but just like every else in Tokyo, it was damn expensive.  So we bought Chu-Hi at 7-11 and drank on the streets, again.

In order to not be stuck in Shibuya with only an expensive taxi to get home, we took the final train back, which was close to midnight.

the amazing japanese bicycle