AsiaJapanTokyo

Roppongi, Roppongi

Tokyo Travel Blog

Akihabara

The check out time at the capsule is 10am, and they mean 10am.  An alarm sounds at 9:45am informing everyone that, indeed, check out time is 10am, not 10:01am.  Even if you plan on staying more than one night, you must check out at, you guessed it 10am.  If you try to hangout in the lobby after 10, the receptionist will shoo you away.  So, from 10am until 3pm (2pm on weekends) you are without a place to chill.  The showers close at 9am, if you wake up after 9am and want a morning shower, tough titty.

Normally, this checkout time and shower time would not be a problem.  However, there were many nights where I stayed out very late, and awoke in the morning very hung over, without the aid of a shower and a bed to nurse the hang over.  This, as you can imagine, was tough.

Stefan and Fredric needed to go back to Akihabara and I wanted to see it during the day, so we spent most of the day exploring the “electric town”.  After much shopping, we wanted to rest and get some refreshment, so we decided on a “maid café”.  These are cafes where the serves dress in a maid outfit or some cartoon character.  Apparently, mid-afternoon is not a good time to patronize this type of establishment.  There was only 1 “maid” working, and she appeared to be having a bad day.  To compound that, the tea I ordered was around 7 US dollars.  Wow, hot water, tea bag, 7 dollars.

After the disappointing maid café experience, I went back to Asakusa to figure out my South Korea trip.  Near the capsule hotel and across the street from the temple is a tourist agency.  This place is great, tons of knowledge and helpful English speakers.  They directed me towards JTB, a travel agency right down the street.

Inside JTB, I took a number and soon was helped by a friendly travel agent.  I found a flight to South Korea with the perfect departure and arrival with an imperfect price of 450 US dollars.  I was set to purchase the ticket, I handed my credit card to the agent, and then he asked if I had my re-entry pass.  What the eff is a re-entry pass?  He told me the embassy could explain, but of course they were closed and my flight was Sunday night.  So, my desire to visit South Korea was hopeless.  Totally bummed I left the travel agency.

After the debacle at the travel agency, I met up with the Swedish brothers and we searched for a place to eat near our hotel.  We settled on a restaurant that had a cheap menu board out front.  We were not sure what kind of food it was because the board was written in Japanese.

the maid cafe
  I assumed it was Japanese cuisine, but to my dismay, it was Chinese.    However, the food was fast, cheap and tasty, just like all the Chinese restaurants I have dined at around the world.

We went back to the capsule hotel and I introduced the boys to Chu-hi’s.  Across the alley from the hotel, there was a vending machine serving up cold, sweet Chu-hi’s.  We were drinking in the lobby and we met a large group heading to Roppongi.  We joined forces, and the twelve of us headed into the Tokyo star filled night.

Once in Roppongi, we walked around for awhile trying to figure out where to go.  We were told to try Gaspanic.  This place was jam-packed with locals and tourists.  There was no cover; however, floor walkers made sure you had a drink in your hand at all times.  If you were without one they made sure you ordered one.  We did not stay long, everyone wanted to try another place.

We heard that karaoke bars are all you can drink, so we found the cheapest one we could find.  Once inside we learned it was 1600 yen for one hour.  They gave us the largest room they had, and we immediately told the servers to bring 24 drinks, 2 for everyone, and to keep them coming.  Every time they brought a tray of drinks we ordered more.  Before we went in, everyone was saying that they would not actually sing, and were just going there to drink.  But after a few drinks everyone was singing Michael Jackson’s Beat It.  It was damn comical.

After the spontaneous singing we headed back to Gaspanic.  The club was much better.  The tourists were gone and only locals remained.  I dance for a few hours, when Stefan grabbed me and said that we had to get one of the British boys home, because he was not doing well.  We hired a taxi, which got lost but still only charged us what he said he was going to, got to love the honest Japanese.  We got home as the sun was coming up, and I was excited to know that I would be getting kicked out in a few short hours.

halilee says:
Sounds like quite the adventure lol. :) South Korea would have been cool!
Posted on: Nov 26, 2015
stealing chicken from the colonel
stealing chicken from the colonel
the maid cafe
check this dude out delivering foo…
check this dude out delivering fo…
The temple gate across the street …
The temple gate across the street…
Stefan