World Cup semi-finals and sauerbraten at Karl & Gisela's

Dusseldorf Travel Blog

Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof

Tim and Jennifer headed for Cologne and, since we’d already spent time there, Lin and I headed for the Altstadt to just wander around.   We took the bus to the main train station and then a train to the Altstadt.  Since it was Sunday, many stores were open but there was lots of activity because of the races.  We watched a bit of the races ourselves and it was interesting to see people skiing past trees that still had all their green leaves!  Though the leaves were still in the trees, it was still pretty cold an, like a fool, I’d failed to pack a warm coat.  Brrrrrrrrr!
My favorite German dish is Sauerbraten and I’ve been eating it since I was a kid.  Fortunately, Karl and Gisela know that and, even more fortunately, Karl’s son, Heinrich, is a chef!  Therefore, Heinrich had prepared a magnificent feast for us at Karl & Gisela’s apartment.  WOW!!!  The best I’ve ever had by far.  The problem now, of course, is that none other will measure up by comparison.  We had a wonderful meal and even better time just relaxing with good friends.  All things end, however and too soon we came to the end of both the evening and our trip.

Jennifer & Tim