Back in time to WWII

Linnich Travel Blog

"The doorway"

During WWII, my Dad was in the infantry in Germany.  During a battle for the small town of Linnich he was injured and put out of action for a time.  I’ve always felt that his being out of the battle for a few months might be the only reason I even exist!  From my childhood, I was aware of the general outline of the story and some years ago, I asked Dad to document his adventures in a diary.  Knowing that Linnich is but a short distance from Düsseldorf, I got more details before I left for this trip, especially as to specific locations of some key events.  Fortunately, he and Mom had returned to Linnich several years ago so he had pictures that helped a lot.

My regimen upon arrival in Europe is to sleep for no more than three hours, then get up and resume normal activities.

This is where dad was wounded
  For me, at least, this results in virtually zero jet-lag.  (I still haven’t found a formula for the trip home; however and usually suffer for several days.)  When we awoke from our nap, we jumped in the car and set the
GPS for Linnich.  Our first mission was to find a particular school and, across from it, a doorway in which Dad had stood guard as squads of Germans and Americans alternately passed along the street.

On the day Dad was hurt, he was in a pedestrian passageway as the Germans shelled a nearby church tower that was being used an American observation post.  The church was easy to find and after a bit, it was Linda who found the passageway.  I was shocked at the strength of the emotions I felt as I stood there.  I actually had so sit down on a bench for a while!

After a bit of lunch at a small reastaurant and a peek into the church, we headed back to Düsseldorf.

The doorway