Summer Vacation - Day Two-South Bass Island, Put-In-Bay, Ohio

Put-in-Bay Travel Blog

Waiting for the Miller Ferry

Today, we decided to explore South Bass Island and the little town of Put-In-Bay, Ohio.  Access to the island is either by ferry service, pleasure boat, or air.  We chose to take the Miller Ferry from Catawba Island.  The Miller is the "slow" boat, but capable of shuttling cars, bikes, golf carts, etc.  The Jet Express is the "fastest way to Put-In-Bay," but also the most expensive.  Since we were taking our bicycles, the Miller was the way to go!  Some people call Put-In-Bay the "Key West of the North" because of the similiar lifestyles and entertainment.

Miller Boat Lines (www.millerferry.com) offers the lowest price on service to the island.  Priced at $6.

I wonder what she is thinking.
50 adult one way, the 18 minute trip transports you to the southwestern side of the island.  Our bicycles were just $2.00 one way.  Discount tickets can be found online at the Miller website.  Taxis and bus service are reasonably priced into town.  You can also rent golf carts (the main transportation around the island) or bicycles easily within walking distance of the dock.

Our trip over on the Miller was rather uneventful.  The girls were so excited to ride the "big boat" and travel with their bicycles.  The lake was very calm that day making for a smooth and enjoyable ride.  Once on the island, our little bike party of six (the twins rode in a cart behind one of the adult's bike) started off for the Perry's Victory Monument located near the downtown.

Hi!

For a Monday, the island traffic was very busy, and so was the line for the monument elevator.  It would be at least half an hour wait before loading the elevator to go to the top.  Instead of waiting, we rode on to discover the island.  At the east end of the island, Jason and the two girls took their shoes off and waded in Lake Erie on the rock beach.  From this vantage point, you could easily see Middle Bass Island (a smaller island - still a popular destination for some), Starve Island (uninhabited), and Kelley's Island.  Looking across the water to the southeast, you could see the mainland and Marblehead Lighthouse.  With the sun shining brightly, it really was beautiful gazing off into the distance!

From there, our ride took us on a little sightseeing of the local cottages, bed and breakfasts, and private homes.

Finding a place to relax at the base of the Perry's Monument
  Some are very elegant; while others are very simple and rustic.  There are several smaller cottages available for rent by the week, month, or season.  Cycling back to the monument found the line even longer than before, so the decision was made to check back again later.

By this time, we had burned so many calories that lunch was needed to refuel.  A spot (The Boardwalk) was chosen, and off we pedaled into the downtown area.  As we are pedaling along, I failed to notice the large gap between the blacktop pavement and the gutter.  My bicycle tire did however find the gap and from that time on, the bike had a mind of its own!  It took just a few seconds as I crashed into the curb, rolled my bike, and ended up on the sidewalk.

Perry's Monument (picture taken previously)
  Embarassed to say the least, I gathered my thoughts, checked to make sure all body parts worked, surveyed the skinned elbow and knee, and made light of the situation to onlookers which included my family.  Once back on my feet, my bicycle showed no damage, so off we went.  Boy, did I feel stupid!

Lunch was rather uneventful, and very, very good!  The Boardwalk is an excellent restuarant offering seafood, hamburgers, and lots of other yummy dishes.  A portion of the restaurant is a sit down place while other parts are self seating where you order, receive your food from a window, and search for indoor or outdoor seating.  Broadwalk is located on the busy water's edge of Put-In-Bay so the view is very pretty.

During the afternoon, we checked back into the Perry's Monument line, and found it just a little too much for the little ones.

Wading on the stone beach
  The girls rode the antique carousel with pigs, horses, chickens, and the favorite - fish.   A tour of the island winery (Heineman's) and Crystal Cave was chosen.  Since my husband and I have been on the tour many times, we chose a bottle of our favorite wine and a comfortable seat in the garden area - a much needed "unwind and de-stress" place.  You can learn about the about the history of the winery and Crystal Cave (actually a very large geode) at www.heinemanswinery.com.  Their wine is very good with the Pink Catawba and the Island Chablis being our favorites.

Back on the bicycles (I think I ride better with a little wine in me), we visited South Bass State Park, and checked out a couple golf courses.  With everyone pretty tired from our adventures, we rode on to the ferry and made the crossing to the mainland.  During the evening, we discussed the next day's trip (another Lake Erie island - Kelley's Island) and relaxed around Parcel's Post.  Once the kids were tucked in for the night, we played cards and snacked until late.

PhinsAndGills says:
I guess you're never too old to fall off your bike.
Posted on: May 04, 2010
Hi!
Finding a place to relax at the ba…
Finding a place to relax at the b…
Perrys Monument (picture taken pr…
Perry's Monument (picture taken p…
Gingerly walking out