Our Family Vacation Begins

Catawba Island Travel Blog

Parcel's Post Marina Condominiums

The last week in July is always reserved for family vacation with our son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughters.  We have toured Washington DC, Virginia Beach, stayed at an Ohio State Park cottage in the southern part of the state, and now this year we stayed on Catawba Island on the south shores of Lake Erie.  For over thirty years, my parents have a vacation spot on Catawba Island.  It isn't fancy, just a two bedroom mobile home and boat dock.  Development has gone full circle in the area with condos springing up all around Parcel's Post.  Though the name has remained the same over the years, the concept has changed from trailer park to marina condominiums.  We often laugh about the fact the trailer hasn't moved, but is now listed as a "condo.

Dad baiting the hook AGAIN!
"  It is a peaceful spot during the week, and on weekends becomes the place to let your hair down and party with friends!  It is a convenient base point for visiting all the sights the islands offer.  This blog is a very small travel highlights tour of my family vacation.

Day one was spent getting there, unloaded, and reacquainted with the area.  Bill and I used to take our two kids and vacation each year at the "trailer," so going there this year with Jason and his family was sort of a flashback.  Since there were only two bedrooms, we planned on putting the four girls in the front bedroom - twins on the bottom bunk (they are only two years old so both could share the bed), one of the "big" girls on the top bunk, and the other girl on a camper cot.

Learning Patience
  This arrangement actually worked out perfect!

This left us with the dilemma of what to do with four adults and one bedroom.  Jason and Jody gave the "old" folks the bedroom, Jody chose the sofa, and Jason was left with a few options - a camper cot, a recliner, the floor, the bathtub, the back seat of the van, or the boat (with all the bugs).  The solution was solved when my aunt offered her mobile home just a few doors down from my parents place.  Bill and I quickly seized the other unit, saving Jason from uncertainty.  After visiting with my parents and aunt, they departed leaving us "in charge."  Unpacking was a breeze since vacation at the lake doesn't require much more than some shorts, a couple swimsuits, and several T-shirts.

Baiting the Hook

The girls decided to try their hand at fishing.  Audrey with her pink and purple Barbie pole, Hannah with the largest bobber I've seen attached to a pole, a cup of worms, and Dad in tow took off for the dock area.  Patience was not one of the finer points at the beginning.  The girls "expected" the fish to bite shortly after tossing in their lines.  Upon discovering that fishing takes a little more time, the luster of the sport soon began to wear off especially since the fish kept taking the bait.  The girls kept Dad busy baiting hooks!

A move to another spot proved to be the trick!  It was almost dark before the first fish was caught.  Soon a couple more were caught, and the girls were then happy.  Neither girl was eager to take the fish off the hook, so Grandpa was enlisted.  All in all, I think the tally was 5 or 6 fish, an empty cup of worms, no injuries, and happy campers.

By now, it was time to call it a night with the next day's activities to include a ferry ride to South Bass Island and the little town of Put-In-Bay.

bkretzer says:
I can remember taking my girls fishing when they were little. Same thing! I still have a picture somewhere of their first fish!
Posted on: Aug 10, 2009