The long schlep home

Philadelphia Travel Blog

I woke in the wee hours with the fear that, given security measures, we’d probably not be allowed to carry the glasses we’d bought onto the plane! I slept poorly from then on and when Lin woke, told her my thoughts. She agreed and we set out to put all of he glasses into the checked luggage. We had four boxes of glasses, two in my carry-on duffel and two in a shopping bag. We painstakingly wrapped glasses in clothing and packed them in the luggage, hoping that at least most of them would survive the trip. (Every last one arrived intact!)

We’d planned on taking the 8:00 shuttle to the airport but there was a heck of a crowd and there were taxis waiting so we took one of those for the short trip. There was a huge line for check-in but only one person in line for Envoy class so we got through quickly. Had breakfast at McDonalds, of all things, and went through security. There was a second security checkpoint that looked as if it might be for planes going to the US and there we had to put our shoes through the scanner and walk through without them. Best not to have holes in the socks! We’d been given a pass for the business class club and we’d been told it was across from the gate inside security but that was bad info; it was between the two checkpoints. We elected not to run that gauntlet again and just waited with the mob.

We got off the gate late but made the time up enroute. The flight was long but uneventful and we arrived to a beautiful warm day in Philadelphia. When we eventually got home, we didn’t have the energy to even go out to dinner so we had a bowl of soup for dinner and that was the end of the trip.

I was so much looking forward to this trip that I was concerned that it might not live up to expectations. I needn’t have worried, this was one of the best trips we’ve ever taken; it was very nearly perfect in every way. Alsace and the Black Forest are both beautiful but I must admit I liked the Black Forest a bit more; might be my German heritage. That said, Illhaeusern will always have a special place in our hearts!

We are very grateful to Karl & Gisela for inviting us and for being such wonderful people.

Philadelphia