Shopping in Obernai

Obernai Travel Blog

We left the castle and continued north to Obernai, stopping along the way at Restaurant Kirmann in Epfig for a lunch of tourte and some white wine. The tourte is a meat pie and it was delicious. Reaching Obernai, we parked and walked around town. The first thing we found was a hardware store so we bought a 220v night light and extension cord. We also bought a dozen champagne flutes and a dozen white wine glasses from a lady who was speaking Alsatian to her assistant. I commented to her (in French, not Alsatian!) that I’d not heard that language and she launched into a long and spirited dissertation on the loss of this historic language. She was obviously passionate about the subject and I had difficulty getting away.

For the first time in several days, we got on the autoroute to return “home” to Riquewihr. On the way, I decided to pop back over into Germany to check out a steam train ride in Riegel that Linda had read about. We wandered around Riegel until we found what passes as a train station but I couldn’t find any information. Eventually a train came in and I stopped a passenger who, after consulting his schedule, said the next steam train was on June 17th. We decided not to wait!

On the way back to Riquewihr, we passed through Illhaeusern and I stopped to take photos of the menu in the window at l’Auberge de l’Ill and then of a bunker from the Maginot Line.

After dumping our purchases in the room, we headed out for dinner in Riquewihr. This time, we selected the Relais de Riquewihr. I had rabbit stew and Lin had Baekoffe. Both were quite good.

Back in the room, I called the office, transferred some pictures and some of my journal to the laptop and hit the sack.

Obernai