Rhine cruise in the rain

Oberwesel Travel Blog

We were up at 7:00, had a quick breakfast at 8:00 and drove down to Bingen for a trip on the river on a KD Line boat. I misjudged where we were going and parked too far from the boat so we had to walk a bit. After buying our tickets, we waited with a busload of Germans for the boat to arrive. When it did, we were less than excited to see that this boat, with a capacity of about 400, already had on board 350 Japanese! That’s not an imaginary figure; I got it from one of the crew. The few available tables were reserved for the German tour group so we were jammed onto the end of a table in the center of the boat, away from the windows. The noise level was deafening and you couldn’t move. On deck, it was cold and damp so one couldn’t remain there for long. Visibility was terrible; it was the one lousy day of the trip.

Mausturm
We’d bought tickets for Boppard but thought we might bail out at St. Goar and take the train back to the car. I asked our waitress where the large group was going and she said St. Goar and St. Goarhausen! We stayed on board and had a very pleasant 45 minutes to Boppard. To think the entire trip might have been like that!

After disembarking, we walked in town just a bit, then found the bahnhof and, after some confusion, boarded a train for Bingen. Underway, we learned that this train stopped in Bingen but not at the station we wanted. As it turned out, however, this one was just as close to my car as the other was. We drove up route 9 once again to Bacharach where we had a nice but simple meal of Wienerschnitzel for Lin and Zwiebelschnitzel for me.

Leaving there, we continued on through Oberwesel to St. Goar to do some shopping since, as usual, we’d left it go too late. Finished the shopping and returned for a nap.

We ate in the castle once again and this time they had our reservation. They reserve the tables by writing your name on ceramic tablets with a paint pen or something. The nicest part is that here in Germany, they spell my name correctly! Lin had sole for an appetizer, followed by pork in Dijon sauce. I had quail followed by rabbit. For desert, I had some phenomenal goat cheese, then had some calvados in the library. We walked around a bit, then reluctantly gave up and went to bed.

Burg Schönburg