Interesting detour and a nice evening

Oberkirch Travel Blog

Leaving Bad Säckingen, we programmed the GPS for fastest way to Triberg, stopping at Hotel Dorer in Schönwald. We’d identified it from the Gast im Schloß book. The hotel was nice but the woman there was not especially so. She explained rather sternly that we could only have the fixed menu for dinner; there was no á la carte. We didn’t feel at all welcome so we headed to Oberkirch where we’d identified a hotel from the “passport” book.

Somehow, however, I apparently switched the GPS from “fastest” to “shortest”. As I was heading west on the A33, the GPS told me to turn off and it directed me onto a tiny road. By this time, I'd become accustomed to floowing the GPS's instructions and had not yet learned that they're not as "smart" as they might be.

On the way to Oberkirch
  This road was barely wider than the car and it went twisting up the side of a mountain. On the left I had a bank going upward and on the right a terrible drop-off. Of course, there was no guard rail! We kept hoping we’d crest and eventually we leveled out just as Lin saw a town appear on the edge of the moving map display. Unfortunately, a few minutes later, the road became a dirt track! There we found an old man and a small boy sitting in front of a house. The old man said it was simply necessary to turn around and go back down through the obstacle course! I really didn't want to do that but the alternative was to move into his house!

In Oberkirch, we found the Hotel Oberen Linde to be fantastic! We had a great room for 120 Euros and a delicious meal in their restaurant. This hotel is part of Romantik Hotels and Restaurants and that chain has never failed us. Nice evening all around!

Our little detour