High above Schramberg

Schramberg Travel Blog

Stadtmuseum Schramberg

On the way to Schramberg we breezed past a place that said "Welschdorf" so we went back to have a closer look. It seems as if the village of Welschdorf doesn’t exist per sé but I got a photo of a restaurant with that on the sign. We stopped again in Alpirsbach for a tour of the Alpirsbach brewery but, sadly, it was closed. We had to wander around Schramberg a while looking for the Stadtmuseum where we’d heard there was a clock collection. The lady there said it closed at 6:30 but it seemed to me that we had lots of time. They had a huge clock there and the woman activated it manually so we could see the 8 passion scenes it displays. About 45 minutes after entering, the lady started turning off lights.

Stadtmuseum Schramberg
We left and I looked at my watch. 5:30. Strange… Followed the GPS up over the hills through Lauterbach to Hornberg, then on to Triberg. Triberg was very touristy but Lin wanted to look there in the morning for a cuckoo clock so we didn’t want to drive beyond it.

We decided to backtrack to choose one of the places we’d seen on the road between Schramberg and Hornberg. Unfortunately, we saw nothing great and started back towards Hornberg once again. Lin mentioned that she’d seen a small sign indicating Hohenschramberg and that it had a bed and crossed knife and fork on it. I turned off onto a small road that twisted up onto the mountain. At times it was pretty frightening as the road was narrow, winding and had a drop on one side and went up on the other.

Stadtmuseum Schramberg
Eventually, however, we came to the ruins of a castle perched on the mountaintop and a small gasthaus next to it, the Gasthof-Pension Burgstüble. Fortunately, they had a room available so we took it, deposited the bags and had dinner. Lin had veal in a cream sauce and I zwiebelrostbraten. Both were great! For dessert we both had Schwarzwalder Kirchbecker with Kirshwasser and cream. (Marinated black cherries with kirsch over vanilla ice cream) That was even better! I looked at the clock on the wall and noticed it was one hour later than my watch. I asked about it and it turns out that they go on daylight savings time a week before we do in the US so for this week only, there's a 7 hour time difference rather than the normal 6 for which I'd set my watch. Since my arrival, my watch had been reading an hour early than reality!

We took a brief walk outside after dinner. The castle is lit with spotlights from below so it must look great from the city. The lighting made the walking tricky, though, so we retreated to bed.

From our room