Ferry to the mainland

Saint-Malo Travel Blog

Been organising, packing and organising more all week, not at all like me but when i travel by bike i like to make sure im not gonna
A. Empty the contents of my bags down the motorway or set fire to them on the exhaust
B. Breakdown because of a silly little thing that being a mechanic i should have checked/ planned for
C. Be stopped for speeding, asked to show my documents by an angry belgium cop with a gun, only to pull out an indian takeaway menu and some old bus tickets.

So come Wednesday morning my two bags were packed (a tank bag and a tail pack) my sat nav was set up, and i was ready to go, get to the ferry terminal with ages to spare, and its raining. Great. Chat to some other bikers waiting to get the ferry, then finally we board.

Get some brekkie (a bacon and cheese baguette :( ) and try and nap for an hour, but whats playing on my mind is that im meant to be coming back at 5.30pm Sunday evening, checkin at 4.30, its 850 miles according to the Google Earth from Nurburgring to St.Malo, even if i leave at 6am, theres next to no chance of me getting that boat.

So i consider my options till its time to disembark. Right ive got to get a later boat, i think theres one at 8pm, that should be do-able. I get off the boat and go to the ticket office, Sunday evening boat is full, bollocks. But there's a Monday morning boat at 7.45am, that means i'll get back to Jersey at 8.15 local time, and get to work for 8.30. Perfect. So thats sorted. Now to ride the 350 miles to Calais, North East France to meet my uncles who im doing the trip with. It's midday, should be there by 6.

Sat nav set, tank brimmed. Here we go!

Saint-Malo