My Tanzanian and Zanzibar Travels with Jenman African Safaris

Tanzania Travel Blog

We visited Tarangire National Park, Lake Manyara National Park, the Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater and then spent a few nights in Zanzibar to end off the holiday. The service we received from the Jenman Safaris team was very good - considering that they are based in South Africa and we are in Europe, all arrangements were taken care of very well and the consultants was very helpful and very efficient.

It was good to chat to them on the phone about the safari; they were able to answer all my questions about the accommodations & the best route to take.  They sent me very detailed documentations, vouchers, itineraries etc electronically, which was really useful. When we got to Tanzania, all the arrangements were perfect – we were met on time, taken to awesome hotels/lodges and told loads of interesting information by the guide.  The guide was outstanding – he knew so much about the culture of the people and knew the best places to see the wildlife we wanted to find.  The Jenman guide was very patient with us – we wanted to take a lot of close up photographs, and he often suggested moving the car around the game so we could get different angles – that was really appreciated.

We stayed at the Karama Lodge in Arusha (rustic, kind of tented chalets) - really nice, the breakfast was fantastic and the place was very peaceful. All the hotels we stayed at on the safari were part of the same company – called Wildlife lodges.  They were each a little different in their own way, but it was nice to get to each new one, because you knew what you could look forward to.  The hotels were really nice & stylish, considering we booked a mid range safari.  I would say some were about a 4* standard, which I wasn’t expecting at all! Nice surprise! The Manyara Wildlife Lodge, Seronera wildlife lodge (in the Serengeti) & Nogorongoro Wildlife Lodge (at the crater) were all great - all the hotels were really well positioned, either being set over the crater or the Manyara Park, or right in the middle of the Serengeti.  In Zanzibar we stayed at Beyt al Chai in Stone Town (WOW – we loved this place, really stylish and local ‘stuff’ was used to decorate the place).  On the beach we stayed at Fumba Beach Lodge which was also a great place – cool accommodation, beautiful beach, great food & the kind of place you could stay for a week or more just relaxing.

We saw loads of wildlife; basically saw pretty much everything, except (unfortunately) not a Rhino, so we didn’t make the big 5.  Our guide just said that was unlucky, because they do see Rhino fairly often.  The very best thing was the incredible amount of Wildebeest – we went during the Migration season & they were EVERYWHERE & the sound was almost deafening.

In Zanzibar we did a scuba dive, which was great, & also some snorkeling too.  We also did a guided walk around Stone Town (which was a good thing, otherwise we would have got lost in the windy alleys), went to the night market for dinner, & hired bikes to go exploring. I wish we had more time in Zanzibar actually, but that was our own fault. We were advised by Jenman Safaris to take an extra day, but we had to get back home.  In hindsight, the extra day would have been great.

I recommend Tanzania and Zanzibar as a must see.  The game viewing is incredible, the people wonderful, the landscapes beautiful & the beaches – ahhh, so nice. I would also recommend that you book through Jenman Safaris for a memorable experience with no regrets.