Weekend Trip

Brussels Travel Blog

Well, I had a great flight towards Munich and it was nice having U. with me on the plane from Munich to Brussels.  I even got to see the Alps.

U. bought our shuttle bus tickets to the city centre, I guess, it would have been much harder for me.  The problem developed when we missed our bus stop • right in front of the EU Commission, so we walked backwards to Rond Point Schuman.

Here are some pictures with explanations.  Unfortunately, they don’t show how we were welcomed.  K. was a fantastic host!  The welcome dinner on Friday night was so good with Mustard-Cream-Soup with white Wine, four different kinds of Quiche and salad, cheese served with red wine, Meringue-Raspberry-Cake, and Three-Kings-Cake (with a small porcelain king baked into it).

Here you go:

Cathedral

• after we took the underground towards the city centre we went to the Cathedral, it’s beautiful, but the pulpit

has been a bit to “baroque” for my taste, unfortunately the picture isn’t that great.

Grote Markt / Grand Place • a fantastic ensemble.  Those building are just awesome.  I’ve seldom seen so many historical building in one place with so little tourist (and so many chocolate shops).  The city hall is much taller than we had expected.

Now it was time for a Coffee.  We went into the Galerie de la Reine where we had a piece of heaven • hot chocolat au lait and mousse au chocolat.  Some of the stores were really magnificent • I remember a bookstore, which seemed to be so much bigger than it actually was because of mirrors.

It was getting later and we decided on a museum • the Comic Museum.  I didn’t like it as much as the others, since I am not francophone. But I love the Horta House • a museum of Art Noveau (in the picture you see the "Old England" building, which is home of the Music Instrument Museum).

Than we went shopping • poor men • the ladies got lost in one store and just to find a fitting pullover.  It was so hilarious as we exchange cloth or even had to use the same cabin at one time.

The evening we spend in a nice Belgium pub.  To have Belgium food, well we didn’t order neither Chips (“French” Fries) nor Mussels, but they didn’t have one vegetarian meal.  Arround midnight we had a last beer at the Grote Markt.

Our first destination on Sunday has been the Atomium • I guess, it speaks for itself.  On our trip back Arndt and me just had to take a picture of this basilica.

Before rushing to the Airport we had a late lunch in the city.  K. even had to drive us to the airport, since we forgot about the time.  Well, we arrived 50 minutes before the plane started (ok, the start was 10 minutes early).

David says: