Samtgemeinde...

Dorpen Travel Blog

Our home for 3 days
I made the appointment with the house-owners between 13.00 and 14.00 hours, and  because we were ahead on our schedule I suggested to stop for a toilet break at the Barkhoorn campground in Sellingen, where a couple of years ago we spend a few days. I knew hubby would like that very much.
So instead of crossing the border at Bourtange, which I planned, we crossed it about 10 kilometers south at Sellingen - thus our printed routedescription became a bit useless now. Instead I had (we changed seats at Nieuwe Pekela, I was driving now) to read the road signs to our direction.
The signs for directions were a bit different from what I remembered from earlier visits by car to Germany (some 25, 30 years ago). I dunno if my memory was wrong or that the sign system has changed, and it may even have to do with the fact that I've never been at the "Kreis" Emsland.
Some of the fachwerk can still be seen inside the house
Lucky for us there were some helpful people which we asked and we tried to follow their poor directions....

Samtgemeinde is German, and with my poor knowledge of German I think it means something like a collection of villages making a community. (This system is also used in the Netherlands, but we don't have a special word for it).
The "mis-orientation" resulted we saw every village of the Samtgemeinde before we finally reached our destination at Kluse, a place too small to deserve the name village, neighbourhood is a better word.
You could say we already did a bit of exploration of the area, but hubby was bored as hell, and was calling for a navigation system. I still don't think I really need it for I have always reached my destination, but it might be a good idea to get one, in case he has to go somewhere he's never been before - it will definitely ease his mind.
Part of our backyard

When we were at the road our house for the next 3 days should be on, we were still in time for the appointment with the house owners. We came from the south, and recognized the house from the images we've seen on the internet. And it was really a lovely old farmhouse to see, and we all agreed the inside was just as lovely as the outside.

After we were settled we drove to the Herzogsee (Duke's lake) so the children could have a swim. BJ ofcourse, but even oldest daugher went into the water.
When around dinner time the weather was cooling down a bit, we went back for a take away dinner (yeah.... pizza) heading for our holiday home.

Later that night hubby and I walked a bit through the neighboorhood, a farmer's hamlet it is, and we found the grocer and the butcher, the only two shops at the place.
Kluse, farmhouse

The grocer opens at 5.30 in the morning (yawn!) which assures us for fresh rolls at breakfast.
The butcher offers a wide variety of meat, and meat products, their "Aufschnitt" is amazing, both in assortment and taste. Also they make about 10-12 kinds of soup, which can be bought frozen, as well as each day a different kind of prepared meat, with salads. So, no cooking for me, just buy it at the butcher and put it in the microwave :)

ik-ben-10eke says:
That is a clear explanation, thanks! As I understand it is is a little different from the Dutch system, where we have municipalities (gemeenten) where there are several villages but only with one town hall in the main village or town.
Posted on: Aug 19, 2015
FK27 says:
Samtgemeinde is a joint municipality that operates one town hall with paid employees, while member municipalities do not have paid employees, just one honorary council which can decide about minor investments, e.g. a new playground.
"Samtgemeinde" is a term only used in Niedersachsen. In Schleswig-Holstein, it is called "Amt", in Rheinland-Pfalz, it is called "Verbandsgemeinde", in Bavaria, it is called "Verwaltungsgemeinschaft", while in Nordrhein-Westfalen and Hessen, they have only unified municipalities.
Posted on: Aug 17, 2015
Our home for 3 days
Some of the fachwerk can still be …
Some of the fachwerk can still be…
Kluse