Best University in NZ

Auckland Travel Blog

Auckland University
I got to the university in the morning. It's said that the Auckland university is the best university in New Zealand.  The largest university in New Zealand is located just across the road to the North West of the Domain. For over 100 years, the University has had a presence on what is now the City Campus. The campus is accessible to the cultural and commercial amenities of the country's largest city, while harbour views and nearby parks add to its attractiveness.

The City Campus provides a full range of amenities, including caf├ęs, health services, libraries, childcare facilities, and a recreation centre. Historically significant buildings include Old Government House, the Clock Tower, and University House.

Clock Tower
I saw few students reading books on the bench in the Albert park which is very close to the campus.

Albert Park sits just two blocks up behind Queen Street and next to the University of Auckland. It is a great relaxing area to take lunch or go for a stroll around the gardens. It's the oldest park of the city. It sits on a hill overlooking the downtown area. I like this park for its quietness and beauty.

After sightseeing in the university, I walked down the stairs of Albert park, then came across the Auckland Art Gallery. It is a beautiful old building built in 1887 that houses the biggest collection of New Zealand paintings in New Zealand. Some people were wandering nearby, having breakfast or waiting for friends, I guess.

The IMAX theater presides over Aotea Square at the upper end of Queen Street.
Albert Park
  It is a beautiful modern building and the square is often the site of some event or another. I walked into the theater, didn't find any interesting movie, only had a cup of coffee which local people call "Flat White". Actually I also tried another kind of coffee "Long Black", but it's too bitter, not my cup of tea. One block away from IMAX is the Civic Theatre, which was presenting a musical "Cats". I had already watched this musical when I was in Berlin, so didn't check it out.

I saw many beautiful sailboats in the bay. It has been widely claimed that the population of Auckland own more boats per head of population than in any other city in the world. The harbour is certainly covered with them. My friend told me that one of must do's when you are in Auckland is take a cruise out into the harbour.
Art Museum
Which I surely did. Taking a cruise was a good way to take pictures of Auckland skyline, although the weather was so gloomy and windy.

In the afternoon, I visited the famous Parnell Village. This area contains some of the best known historic sites in the city.  These days Parnell has some of the best (and most expensive) restaurants, and is a pretty trendy area full of Victorian buildings, galleries, antique shops and arts and crafts. I found a restaurant named Lguacu which was elected as the best restaurant in Auckland in 2007,2008 and 2009, so I decided to have lunch there.

Around the street corner, I saw The Auckland Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. It was quite an impressive building on Parnell Road. It is the centre for the Anglican Church in Auckland as well as for the Parish of Parnell.
Theater IMAX
But the tour bus which I took just passed by, didn't give me enough time to take a picture of the Cathedral.

Parnell sits up on a hill overlooking Auckland city and harbour. It is Auckland's oldest suburb. During the 1870's a railway bridge went over Parnell Road and a tunnel through Parnell Hill, and there were tramcars running up Parnell Road in the early 1900's. Since this time, much of the old buildings and homes have been refurbished and restored, and a unique olde world shopping centre "Parnell Village" has been created up Parnell Road, making it a prime tourist and residential area. I entered into an elegant coffee shop after lunch, had another "Flat White" before returned to hotel. Oh my, how many cups of coffee I drank that day?
Elliott Stables