Auckland trip

Auckland Travel Blog

Devonport
I arrived Auckland in June. To my disappointment, the sky was cloudy and gloomy, weather was cold and windy. It was temporarily fine when I got to the small town Devonport by ferry. There are many Victorian style architecture in Devonport, but not many people here. I walked around, only saw a few people jogging or sitting in front of coffee shops.

Sky Tower is the most famous place to visit in Auckland. I had been there twice during my trip. There is a glass floor on the tower where you can see through it, which might make you feel dizzy when looking outside. There is a casino full of Chinese gambling there. But I'm not interested in gamble, so only watched for a while, then left the casino and had a cup of coffee at a shop opposite to the sky tower.
Duty-free store

Auckland is popularly known as the "City of Sails" because the harbour is often dotted with hundreds of yachts and has more per capita than any other city in the world. When I arrived at Mission Bay, it was very windy and cold. I stood on the top of the hill, didin't know where to go. Then a local guy asked me if I need help. I told him I wanted to find a coffee shop, then he said he also headed that way. There are few coffee shops along the beach, but not many people there due to the windy weather.

Queen Street is the main street of the city, there are  many stores and banks along the street. I saw lots of Asian people standing or walking there. The road was wet because it rained on and off.
Ferry Building
Generally speaking, I'm not into shopping when travel. I would prefer to take pictures instead of shopping.

I took a tour bus arriving at Auckland War Memorial Museum, which is a large multi-exhibition museum in the Auckland Domain, known for its impressive neo-classicist style. The museum is one place particularly worth visiting in Auckland. It has the world's largest collection of Polynesian artifacts, as well as a great display of objects relating to New Zealand's natural history. There are 3 stories of exhibition. my favourate part is the third floor - war memorial museum. It displays airplanes and guns which had been used in war.

Around dinner time, I walked at the Prince Wharf. There are a few fancy restaurants there. I also saw the New Zealand National Maritime Museum, which features exhibitions and collections relating to New Zealand maritime history at Hobson Wharf. I didn't visit the museum since it was late. So had dinner at the hotel I stayed.
shirlan says:
Haha. You sound the same as we were about Auckland. That was why we hired a car and drove out of the city.
Posted on: Aug 03, 2009