Thu 9th - Toffeeland!

Alluriquin Travel Blog

working with the toffee
You could notice we left the coast. It was getting a bit cool. So good I had my snickers next to me, so I could wear them. Our plan was driving straight to Quito, but not even 20min after leaving Sto. Domingo we were crossing an interesting town. We saw some men throwing and pulling something. What's going on, here? Along the highway there were small houses, but most of them were shops offering candies prepared locally. Women were working next to the throwing men, they seemed to be packing something, mmm.

Then Lisa remembered she read about this town. The major "industry" here was the production of "melcocha" which is a candy made from the sugar cane. It's similar to the toffee. What the men were throwing to the walls was toffee!!! Although weather had changed and it was a bit cool and even rainy, we decided to stop to take a close look to this interesting process, hehe.
this is the melcocha

I was watching one of the men working and an older man, who I assumed was the owner, approached. I said sorry, for being starring his workers, but it was the first time I saw something like that. Then he asked me if I'd like to try the melcocha. Sure! So he grabbed a piece and gave it to me. It was really sweet! No way I could eat a whole bar of it, too much! poor teeth! haha.

We got some candies and snacks for the rest of the way. Wow! The whole town was about toffee. Definitely, this was toffeeland!

It was 3 something when we left Alluriquin, now there wouldn't be more stops. We wanted to arrive to Quito before it'd get dark. Mmm, we were getting close and might be able to do it, but... they were working on the roads! Cool, because they really needed to be maintenance, but so bad that they had to close the roads.
stop
So instead of having 2 lines with 2 different directions, they just had 1 that should serve both sides.

Then I saw an interesting method to do it. There were 2 men at the extremes with radios. They were talking to each other, so the other one would know that he had to hold the traffic at his side - he did it holding a sign saying: "Pare" (Stop). In the meanwhile the guy at the other side would show the sign saying: "Siga" (Go). If you are lucky you wouldn't have to wait, but if the traffic was heavy you should do it. Well, we had to stop a couple of times, but wasn't that bad, not even 10min each time, ufff.

Besides that, the other thing that made the drive slow were the bad roads. At some poing Shawn was talking to me, but no response. I was sleeping, ooops. He saw it and started to talk to William, but no answer either. He checked the mirror and everyone except of him was sleeping. Sorry, it's hard to be the driver... It won't happen again!!! While I was awake I could see really nice landscapes :P
yadilitta says:
hehe, it was because of puffy eye and the drops... :(
Posted on: Aug 07, 2009
geerbox says:
it won't happen again?!?! you fell asleep one more time in the car from Quito to my house!
Posted on: Aug 07, 2009