Looking for Panama hats land!

Montecristi Travel Blog

beautiful church
Montecristi is famous because of the Panama hats, which are not made in Panama but in Ecuador, hahaha. Anyway, when I started to do my research about Ecuador, noticed that Montecristi was close to Manta, so we should visit it! We started our way to Montecristi, yay! We had a map but almost got lost, sorry sorry, Shawn was showing us around, hahaha.

The road was busy and it was around 11:20 when we arrived to Montecristi. We saw the tower of the church from far away, yay! We were getting closer. Finally we arrived to the main square. Montecristi is a small town, but it has a big church! You can see the tower from far away and when you arrive to the square you still have to climb some stairs in order to go into the church.
working hard, hahaha
Nevertheless it was pretty hot, we decided to climb the stairs and visit the church.

Pffff, the view from the top of the stairs was really nice! The whole town seemed to be in a hill, how nice! When I was reading about Montecristi, I found that the most famous Panama hats' shop and "factory" was behind the church. We went there, but didn't find anything. There were 2 girls sitting next to the church and we asked them. So we went to the street at the right of the square.

Montecristi is famous because of the hats and we expected to see lots of handicrafts shops, but nothing. Mmm, we were just walking when I saw it! I small sign saying that was a shop and also "factory", yay! The shop was full of hats different sizes and models. And they were producing more and more. I even took part of the process, yay!!!! I bought some souvenirs and so did Shawn.
wearing our hats :)
Shawn told me not to get crazy with handicraft, since we'd be able to find more and cheaper in Otavalo ;)

By the time we were walking back to the car, school day was over and we saw lots of children wearing school uniforms walking down the streets. It was so hot, that we were thirsty. So we got some water and went back to the square to take a couple of last pictures, while Roger was on the phone. I took more pics of the square and the charming church. Montecristi is a nice and small town, but definitely just to visit for a couple of hours.

It was almost noon, when we left Montecristi. This time the ride didn't last as long as in our way to Montecristi.  :P We should go first to the hotel to meet our new friends and figure it out at what time we'd leave Manta.
Lou27 says:
Panama hats! nice :)
Posted on: Aug 09, 2009
yadilitta says:
yes, I know it was part of your Master Plan ;)
Posted on: Aug 05, 2009
geerbox says:
I wanted to show you as much as Ecuador as possible so sometimes I took the long route with the car for the total Ecuadorian experience :P
Posted on: Aug 04, 2009
;)
;)
31C! It was hot!
31C! It was hot!
school day was over, yay!
school day was over, yay!
Roger was talking