Having my first pisco sours made by myself!!!

Manta Travel Blog

arriving to Manta
We left las Pinas at 5 something in the afternoon and it didn't take us longer than 20min to arrive to Manta. The roads along the coast aka Ruta del Sol were pretty good, but the portion closer to Manta was really smooth! I loved it, and so did the car, hahaha. I was wondering why, since I didn't know much about Manta, but Shawn as a good guide was telling me about the city. Manta is not a town, it's a city. Yes, city girl was going back to the city, although I have to be honest city girl loves beach towns too. Oh well, back to the story. Manta is Tuna-land! The biggest tuna factories are located there and also an American Military Base - well it would be here just until the end of the year - which explains the large number of expats in the area ;)

Shawn had friends here and one of them took care of our reservations, so sweet of him! Before going to the hotel, he'd show me a bit of the city.
back to a city
We were driving around when he saw his friend. He was crossing in front of us, hahaha. So we stopped and talked to him, hehehe. He was going to the movies, hahaha. Shawn thanked him for his help, but needed to ask him for another favor: "can you please lend me your blender?" Yes, a strange request, but we needed the blender to make pisco sours, hahaha. His friend agreed and gave us the keys of his appartment.

Ok, before going back to the hotel, we'd stop at the supermarket to get some other stuff we might need for the pisco sours. Well, we'd need passion fruit if he wanted me to make passion fruit sour! No complains at all, hahaha. It's always interesting going to a market, but a supermarket worked fine too, hahaha. I saw new fruits, yay!

Finally we drove back to the hotel. It was very nice and comfortable.
Manta is Tunaland!
Shawn called his friend, Roger, letting him know we were already in the hotel and would go to visit him briefly. After taking a shower and the alcoholic bag (containing pisco, syrup, fruits), we left the hotel. Roger used to be Shawn's neighbor in Cotacachi, but moved recently to Manta. We went to his condo, and the 3 of us went to get the blender. Then back to his apartment. So good everything was walking distance, yay!

Ok, now it was time to make this pisco sours. Well, time for a confession. I like pisco sours a lot, but I've never made them, well until now, hahaha. Shawn wanted me to start preparing the pisco sours asap, hahaha. "Ok, Shawn, if you want pisco sours, pls start squeezing limes." hehehe. Ok, round #1 of Pisco Sours was ready! yay! We toasted to new friends and moved to the living room to enjoy our cocktails :)

Don't want to sound spoiled, but they were very tasty, hahaha! Roger was a chef and when we told him that there was a Gastronomic Festival in Puerto Cayo he was so glad and started to think about how to go there, hahaha.
first Pisco Sours made by myself
He likes food a lot and to cook. When he was in Cotacachi he was sort of Shawn's personal chef, hahaha. Roger spoiled this guy :P  After the traditional pisco sours, we had passion fruit ones. Now I was an expert and could try different flavors, hehehe.

Roger fixed some sandwiches, but guys were thinking about dinner, hahaha. I didn't eat the sandwiches and could have something to eat. So, we decided to go to a restaurant nearby and grab a bite. OMG! It was Sunday and everything was closed, well almost everything. After walking for a while we saw one open! It was a bbq place, but in Ecuadorian style, hehehe. We got rice and lentils and meat. I chose chicken, Shawn got beef and Roger pork. And of course a beer to drink! Just to keep on toasting, hehehe.

We were the last customers and left the place around 10:30pm.
dinner
Walked back to Roger's apartment for the alcoholic back and agreed to meet next morning to go to the fish market and also to Montecristi!!!! Yay! I made a new friend :)

yadilitta says:
so, you didn't loose him. He just changed locations ;)
Posted on: Aug 05, 2009
geerbox says:
Yes my personal chef is gone :(
but he will be waiting for me in Manta everytime I go :)
Posted on: Aug 04, 2009
tuna boats
tuna boats
tuna boats in tuna land
tuna boats in tuna land
our hotel, what we would have wish…
our hotel, what we would have wis…
parking at the mall, a mall after …
parking at the mall, a mall after…
Babaco
Babaco
our bedroom
our bedroom
Rogers apartment building
Roger's apartment building
Manta Hostels review
Comfortable and nice hotel in Manta -
I didn't need to look for accommodation in Manta, since Shawn's friends took care of it before our arrival, so nice from them! Shawn usually stays her… read entire review
Manta Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Grilled food at Parrilladas "El Colorado"
We arrived to Manta on a Sunday and were having so much fun with a new friend, that we almost forgot about having dinner. When we realized we wanted t… read entire review
Manta