Venice, Italy

Venice Travel Blog

Tourists In St Mark's, Venice
We’re on the road again having left Venice about two hours ago. I’m guessing we are two hours away from Florence, our stop for the next couple days. All of the cities and tours that we do in Italy are very familiar to me and I was feeling mixed emotions yesterday as we crossed the border. On the one hand, I was happy to be in Italy because there is so much I enjoy about Italy. On the other hand I was feeling that the places we are going will be the same places I’ve gone so many times before. But three things revived my spirits.

First was the story telling on the bus going from Verona to Venice. I can sit quietly for a long time, happy in my silence.
Tourists On Godola, Venice
But give me a willing audience and I can keep up with the best of the talkers. The laughter was good medicine.

The second thing that got me going again was gelato. I bought a double scoop lemon ice cream cone in Verona and enjoyed eating it. I also enjoyed watching most of the kids in my group have their first gelato experience. About 20 minutes after eating my first cone, I bought a three-scoop cone at another shop �" I couldn’t resist. At first I tried to conceal the fact that I was a gelato glutton by hiding behind a stone pillar while I ate, but I decided that it was good to be open about my compulsions and let the group see that I had succumbed a second time.

The third thing that revived me happened much later. After supper, I had the kids into my room for a “team meeting,” which is what I call our evening gatherings.
Tourists With Trained Birds
Before supper I had gone across the street and bought a bottle of Lambrusco sparkling wine. After the meeting I shared the wine with my students and we all enjoyed the sweet, sparkling beverage. I went to bed happy. But not just because of the wine. Here’s what I was thinking as I feel asleep. . .

I was thinking that our little group within the larger group on the bus is becoming more like family with every day that passes. However, our “family” is a little more easy-going than a real family. The kids don’t seem to be inclined to challenge my authority and they don’t argue much with each other. This is a utopian family, I guess. If this is going to be my last CHA trip, I can’t think of a better group to end my European chaperone career with than this one.
jbak says:
Scott, thanks for the blog! Its been great! Say Hi to Janelle - we miss her!! We received her postcard from London today (cute card). Tell her grandma's birthday cake was good, we have some in the freezer for her. Enjoy Italy! Jim and Janice
Posted on: Jun 21, 2007