McDonald's, KFC and Other Delicacies

Watertown Travel Blog

Amsterdam Hot dog Stand
One of the reasons I travel is to experience the differences that other places present. Therefore, I have a personal rule not to eat in establishments (such as McDonalds and KFC) that I could find in my own small town. I can normally resist the tempation but I have found that my students are more strongly drawn to their fast food habits. I tell them that they should avoid eating US fast food and sample local cuisine instead. I think most respect this suggestion but I also know that when we land in the US at the end of our trips some often make a dash for the airport McDonalds or Burger Kings.

Eating well is generally not a high priority for me, though recently, because my wife thinks that good food is one of the reasons to travel, I have started to change my attitude.
Prague, Czech Republic
One of the most memorable eating experiences I have had occurred with my wife on a trip we took last summer.

It was June 13 and we had spent our last day in Europe exploring Athens. On the way back to our hotel, we found a pleasant restaurant on a side street. Our table was on the sidewalk and so while we ate we could watch the world go by. Towards the end of the meal, a street musician playing the accordian reached our restaurant. When he came close to our table, I asked him if he could play a special song, the title of which I told him without my wife hearing. He quickly smiled and launched into an accordian rendition of "Happy Birthday To You." June 13, you see, is my wife's birthday.

That birthday present cost me 2 Euros. Yes, I am a big spender! But it is something my wife and I will remember for a long time. Incidentally, I don't remember what I ate that afternoon but I think it was good and it probably had feta cheese on it, which I love.

Travel Tip: Should I Drink the Water?
In a word, yes. Europeans have good, clean drinking water. I would imagine that it is processed and purified with the same meticulous attention our drinking water is processed. Incidentally, Rome has free-flowing drinking fountains all over the city. I am told that some of this water still arrives in the city via the ancient Roman aqueducts. Because I choose to believe this, I make a special point of drinking this water and I must say that it is the best water I've ever had. That is especially true after a long, hot day seeing the wonderful sites of Rome!
Watertown