Mexico City - Day 2

Mexico City Travel Blog

Jerry's main purpose in Mexico City was to go to the Anthropology museum.  His Mexican landlord in San Diego had told him that it was a great museum and not to be missed and it contains many of the treasures from the pre-Columbian civilizations excavated from the ruins.  We had already seen Monte Alban and Jerry and I both wanted to see things from that site as well as others.

It was a welcome relief to be getting out of the city center.  The grime and noise from the all day market on the street in front of the hostel was getting on my nerves, even though it only had been a day.  On the way to the metro we passed the plaza and it was full of demonstrators, contesting the results of the recent election that was won by the conservative candidate.
  The leftists were there in force and I guessed that it was this occasion that prompted the gay parade of the day before.  Riot police were in full gear and ready for anything.  We descended into the metro and while waiting for a car, a guy came up and greeted us.  It was our taxi driver from Friday night!  What are the odds of meeting someone like that in a city of 20 million...I guess pretty good!  The museum is located in a large park along with many other museums and cultural attractions.  It was so nice to see trees and green space and have some respite from the congestion!

The park was filled with families and people strolling about.  The vendors were more subdued than on the zocolo and the atmosphere was very nice.  The museum's design impressed me.
  There was an immense roof held up by a single column with the added attraction of a fountain cascading down the column.  We saw of the Monte Alban rooms and a bit of the central Mexico cultures and then the Mayan, but by then we were exhausted, Jerry's feet hurt and we had to get back so that Jerry could pack and get to the airport for his flight back to Tijuana.  The rest of the day I spent relaxing and hanging out at the hostel talking to some really nice Dutch guys, 2 English guys, a Californian who had been on the road for 3 years, and 2 Puerto Rican girls, the same group as had gone out the previous night.  A couple girls of Mexican origen joined us too and we had quite a group.  We talked, drank cervezas and did some shots of Mezcal.  It was hours of fun.  I got the ultimate compliment from one of the English guys for what I guess was my cosmopolitan attitude and openness and friendliness when he said, "Andrew's the best damn Yankee I've ever met!!"  Seal of approval!