Lima - Saturday, July 21st

Lima Travel Blog

Andrew & Sandra
Janet had asked me to go to Ica, south of Lima where the wine industry is located, for the weekend with her and her friends, but Sandra had also asked me to go to a wedding with her.  The bride was an old high school friend who was finally marrying her boyfriend of many years.  Sandra's dad was a general with the army and the father of the bride was a 5 star general under Fujimora's government before retirement.  I didn't want to pass up the chance to go to a Peruvian wedding so I took Sandra up on the offer.  I went over early for lunch and to catch a museum in the area but in the end I had my hair cut at Montalvo salon and then took a long nap after the lunch.  A combination of the food and an Incan tea with anti-cold herbs made me drowsy so I took a nap on the sofa.
Our Lady of Carmel
  Flavia, Sandra's daughter, was being mischievous and when I laid down she said "levantate!" (get up!) and "despiertate!" (wake up!).  Then she started making little screaming noises until her grandmother quickly put a stop to it.  I wanted to laugh but it wasn't appropriate when the little thing was being scolded.  Sandra said she does the same to her in the morning.  She can be a little imp but I think she just wants the attention.  Apparently she has become naughtier since starting public school and they think it's the influence of other kids.  The nap did me good and when I woke up Sandra was getting ready but it was already after 7 and the invitation said that the ceremony started at 7.  By the time we got a taxi and found the church it was getting close to 8 and Sandra said that these things never start on time.
Reception
  But she was wrong this time because when we walked into the church the bridal party was coming down the aisle and the mass was over.  Sandra met up with her high school friends and we went upstairs to the reception hall, only there was no reception.  Waiters brought some sparkling wine around and plates of savoiardi cookies but that was it.  There was a piece of fruitcake for everyone in a box and Sandra said it's what they have at weddings and celebrations.  I explained how our wedding cake looked...very different traditions!  We chatted for awhile and I took some pictures.  There were a few other men in shabby outfits walking around with cameras taking pictures and printing them out hoping to get the guests and wedding party to pay a few soles for the picture.
Bride & Groom
  Saves quite a bundle on the typical wedding picture package I guess!  It's typical of Peru from what I've seen so far, that people will do anything to eke out a few soles here and there, just to have enough money to eat.  It's indicative of the extreme poverty that exists here.

Sandra's friends parted ways and we went back to Sandra's to change clothes.  Sandra had called her friend Rosa and we were going to meet in Miraflores or Barranco after we ate something.  We walked down the street in her neighborhood for some roast chicken that is a specialty of Lima.  Walking into the restaurant who was sitting there but Rosangela, the owner of the hostel where I'm staying, and her boyfriend Etienne!  In a city of 8 million.
Wedding Party
..  I should stop being surprised when these things happen to me.  It reminds me of my dad, running into people all over the place that he knew, even in different cities.  Like father, like son, in this case.  We talked for a bit and then had our meal.  We were across the street trying to hail a taxi when a story Sandra was telling reminded me I had left my backpack in the restaurant under the table.  You can't do that very much and expect your belongings to be there.  I was lucky...

It took us 12 tries to get a taxi that would agree to take us to Barranco at Sandra's price.  She's tough.  I'd never have the patience to stick it out.  Our taxi driver was funny and regaled us with stories of his passengers on the way.  We met Rosa but decided that the clubs where she was waiting for us weren't what we were looking for so we went back to Miraflores and found a nice place where the music wasn't too loud and where it wasn't too smoky.
Peruvian Beauties
  The soundtrack was a nice throwback to the alternative hits of the 80s and I was singing along to the amusement of the girls.  Rosa had visited the US several times and it was nice to speak English again after so much Spanish all week.  She had a new English boyfriend of a month but they were having a spat and that's why she was out alone.  I really enjoyed talking with her and we all had a lot of fun.
Sandra with friends