Lima, Peru - Sunday, 1st Week

Lima Travel Blog

Andrew & Milagro
Sunday I needed to catch up on rest and do some writing and reading and vegging after such a packed first week.  I had some leftovers from the Colombian restaurant Grisel and I had lunched at on Saturday...shredded chicken and pork in a sauce with a ground beef empanada.  I got the Sunday paper and take away rice to put with the chicken and beef and a pastry for dessert and it was a great lunch.  The big soccer match of Peru vs. Argentina in the Copa America was later that afternoon/early evening and I went with Milagro to a cafe in Miraflores to watch.  The Peruvian soccer-themed cafe she wanted to go to was packed and on reservation only, so we went just down the street to a Mexican place and got a tub of beers to share for the game.
Andrew & Milagro
  Unfortunately, the game turned into a rout in the second half and it became unbearable to watch the Peruvian team get beat so badly, made even worse by the arrogant Argentinian players who ran around with thumb in mouth to signify "we're playing with babies, they're so easy to score against".  It's like the celebrating in NFL football and I really hate it.  Argentinians aren't well liked by most South Americans for this very attitude and it just made it all the more painful and humiliating to watch.  I may not be Peruvian, but I wanted them to beat Argentina very badly!  Well, it's just a game in the end.  Milagro and I were having a great time talking so we decided to go back to Barranco and walk around the square just near my residence.
Andrew & Milagro
  On the weekends the plaza is filled with vendors of artisinal objects like jewelry and bags and hats and other arts and crafts and there are tents set up where you can buy food and pastries.  There was also some live music playing and the atmosphere was really nice.  We walked over the "Bridge of Sighs", named for the love poetry written by many Peruvian poets, inspired by the place.  There is a road that leads down under the bridge to a lookout point over the ocean and you can stop at restaurants and cafes that are terraced about the walkway.   It was beautiful view, even in the chilly winter night.  At least the ocean and lights help to take the gloom of the gray skies away.  After a warming and stimulating cup of mate de coca which is coca leaves steeped in hot water to make a tea (good for altitude sickness, called "soroche". The native peoples in the highlands have always drank it.  It's unfortunately illegal to bring the leaves back to the States.) we called it a night.  Milagro has a new apartment and sparkling new kitchen, but without stove, and she doesn't cook ever, so I promised to make a dinner sometime for her.
Lima Hostels review
The B&B in Barranco is a great place to stay if you want some privacy from the typical hostel dormitory. There are 4 rooms, 2 of which have private b… read entire review
Lima