Lima, Peru - Saturday, 1st Week

Lima Travel Blog

Residence is 2 doors down
Made a few appointments today to check out apartments for rent in Lima, particularly Miraflores district.  The first contact was in Surco, a big area, and as it turned out, the apartment was right around the corner from where Yve, Ysa and Maite live, the girls that I was out dancing with the night before.  The girl that was the contact for the owners of the apartment had a sister who lives in Germany and the owner of the apartment is Italian, from Bologna!  What a coincidence.  Our conversation was a huge mish-mash of Spanish, Italian and English.
Oceanside Park near Residence
.ha ha, such is the way when you're traveling.  It was a new apartment, but ultimately, with 2 bedrooms, too large for my needs.  The second place was more central but with a family including an elderly grandmother and I felt that I wouldn't be comfortable coming and going when I wanted or disturbing the family if I wanted to cook and invite people over for dinner or have guests.  So I ruled that one out too.  Grisel accompanied me and we went to the new alojamiento or guesthouse/hostel/residence to check it out.  I couldn't stay in Barranco past Sunday night so the son of the couple that owns the residence/B&B in Barranco suggested to me his friend's place.  It was lovely...tiled courtyard with fountain, use of kitchen, new furniture and common room with computers, tv and stereo, and more.
Playground in Park
  The day was sunny and I thought it looked just perfect for a semi-long term stay.  Since the place is completely new and they haven't had many guests yet, and none staying at the present time, they offered to knock the price of a single room with bath down from $20 a night to $8!!  I couldn't refuse...it is cheaper than a bunk in a hostel dormitory anywhere around.

Just out the front door you can see the ocean and a park next to it.  It's not even 500 feet away.  And on the sunny day the water sparkled and the views were extraordinary.  I was very happy to walk and take some pictures of the kids playing, the views down the coast from the clifftop park, and the skatepark nearby.  Then we stopped for a coffee at the cutest place called "Il Puntino", nestled right at the tip of the bluff overlooking the ocean.
  It was beautiful.

We visited one more apartment in Miraflores.  The lady was very direct and I liked that.  She immediately said, "ok, tell me about you because I want to know who you are."  I was honest and direct back with her and she liked that as well and agreed to let me take the room in the apartment, but again, the problem was that it was a 2 bedroom apartment and I didn't want to rent out the whole thing.  She said she'd look for a roommate for me and when she found something we could both move in.  So I told her I'd consider it.

After that full afternoon of criss-crossing Miraflores I had had enough of apartment searching.  My friend Sandra, who I had met on Tuesday evening, the first night I was in Lima, invited me over to her house to have dinner and  then go out dancing.
Skate Park
  I arrived and sat down to wait for her and talked to her mom.  As time went by her mom started to get anxious since she was working on a project in not such a great area of town.  After more than an hour, Sandra finally arrived and she changed and we went out for some late dinner (by then I was starved and could have eaten anything).  The shaved pork sandwich with onion and herbed mayo was delicious and Sandra had anticucho again, the grilled beef hearts.  We went to the back of the restaurant where there was a huge tent and many many tables filled with people.  In the center was room for dancing and that was full as well.  Sandra ran into a huge group of friends and we were immediately invited to join them.  I ended up dancing with several of the girls and toasting with pisco and ginger ale to the upcoming wedding of Sandra's friend Celeste and her fiance.  We had a wonderful time with tons of laughs and conversation and toasts.

Pacific Ocean
Christian & Celeste
Christian & Celeste
Sandra & Celeste in Pueblo Libre
Lima Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A select menu but it's the eye-candy that is great here. There is a huge area in back of the restaurant where you can drink and dance. On offer are … read entire review
Lima