Lima - Friday, July 20th

Lima Travel Blog

D'Osma Museum
Now suffering from a full-blown cold, I didn't feel like doing much today.  From the frying pan into the fire!  It didn't seem fair, but oh well, life isn't fair.  Homesick, sick, and skies still gray, I could have just done nothing but I got myself in gear and went to see a museum Federico had recommended to me in Barranco, just a few blocks down the street from the residence I stayed at when I first arrived.  The museum is the private collection of an old Lima family the D'Osma's, for whom the street is named.  It's a beautiful collection of personal memorabilia, silver religious and everyday objects, and a brilliant collection of colonial religious art.
Altar
  I was able to look at everything in about 2 hours, but without the help of the guide.  She was with another couple ladies and then when I went looking for her, the guards had forgotten to tell her I was waiting so she was with another group of people.  By that time I was almost done with the museum, but it would have been nice to have some background on what I was looking at.  Guides are always nice when you don't know a lot about the subject.  Still, I'm glad I went.  I wasn't feeling great but went out later to walk around a bit, get something to eat, and maybe see a movie.  Unfortunately, the only other cinema that was close to me had 2 choices - The Transformers and Harry Potter.  So much for choice!  Had some pizza and a beer off the beaten path where there were only locals and the bill was less than half what it would have been on Pizza Street where they clamor for your attention and try to get you to sit down in their establishment.
True Cross
  One girl went as far to tell me as I walked past, "tu sonrisa es muy bonita!"  (Your smile is beautiful).  Jokingly I said, "oh, in that case let me have a look at the menu."  The Latins seem to be enchanted by blue eyes and lighter hair.  Her compliment wasn't enough to get me to sit down though and I passed and said I might come back later.  If I didn't have a cold and feeling lousy I might have come back to take her out dancing on the street at one of the clubs that are above the restaurants.  There was some great music pulsing from the open doors.  But I was exhausted and went home.
Allegory of the Church