Lima - 2nd Week, Monday

Lima Travel Blog

On Monday I transferred my things to the new residence with the help of Rosangela, the friend of Francisco, the son of the couple that was running the B&B in Barranco.  Actually, it’s Francisco that did most of the work to get it up and running.  He also just started a new venture which is a magazine of events and information for foreigners visiting Lima.  He had just published his first edition and was excited about it.  I really liked the graphics and layout and thought he would do well with it.

After settling in, I made my way to the Explorer’s Club to do research on volunteer opportunities in Lima.  There is no shortage of opportunities.  I spent the whole afternoon going through the book and reading about what they do and seeing what members of the club who had volunteered in the past had thought about their experience.  I narrowed the choices down to about 10 of what I thought would best suit me.  I wanted to work with kids primarily and I found plenty of opportunity for that too.

At 5 I met with Janet who told me she did volunteering for children.  I wanted to ask her about her experience with it and see if we could go together sometime to see what she does and how it looks.  We walked around and talked and then had a couple of excellent Peruvian beers (Cusquena, brewed in Cusco near Machu Pichu) overlooking the ocean in Larcomar shopping center in Miraflores.  She made me speak Spanish the entire evening and I challenged myself by trying to tell my story of why I had come to South America just as would have told it in English.  That necessitated using some pretty difficult words and tenses but I did ok in the end and she understood everything I said so it was a good exercise for me.  It’s better when I’m forced to speak Spanish.  I’m lazy so I don’t like to do it, but once I get going it’s alright.  I’ve barely opened my Spanish books since I’ve been here, since just watching TV or going out on the street becomes my “school”.

Janet was incredulous of my reputed dancing ability (no doubt from seeing many hapless gringos on the dance floor) and I promised her she would be surprised to see me dance, so we agreed to meet Friday night to see who was right.  I put a bet on it that if I danced better than she thought, she’d have to buy me dinner…

photo by: rsvpme