Huaraz - Lazy Sunday

Huaraz Travel Blog

Cafe Andino - Sadhbh & Zoe
After quite a long night for fiesta patria, it was a quiet morning at the hostel.  One by one the backpackers straggled in for late breakfast.  I met up with Zoe & Sadhbh to get some real breakfast and coffee at the Cafe Andino.  They had proper eggs, bacon, toast and the works there and it was a very quiet walk over there.  It seemed that Huaraz was a ghost town.  But it was nice too, to have the empty streets, full sun, lovely day.  The breakfast was decent and the coffee was divine.  A huge steaming cup of Lavazza.  We talked and played Scrabble and read magazines.  The English guys from the night before showed up and had us laughing.  Zoe said that Northern English are like that - very funny and self-deprecating.
Cafe Andino
  Sadhbh and I had planned to go to the hot water baths near Huaraz but as the afternoon wore on it became clear that it wasn't going to happen, plus I was supposed to call home so I didn't have time.  In the end, my phone call was an hour late because I didn't realize Peru is an hour behind Eastern time.  But I did get to talk to my sister, so that was ok.  We all met back up at the hostel to plan our trek in the mountains on Monday.  Coqui, the guy that arranges trips and excursions at the hostel, met us and we set out for the agency.  The trip sounded great and we went with it and paid up.  Zoe had a date with the Peruvian guy she had met at the club so Sadhbh and I went to do the shopping to get ready.  I needed trekking pants, cap and sunglasses.
Cafe Andino
  We all needed food and snacks.  We stopped into several stores trying to find pants but they were either too small or if they fit in the waist then they were like a tent in the legs and super long, so I gave up on that and decided to just go with what I had.  I did get a cap and sunglasses so that worked out.  Sadhbh was on a frenzy and wanted to stop into so many shops.  She got a slingshot and was searching for something to use as poker chips.  On the way she picked up another hat and then we ducked into the music store.  I was attracted by the violins on display and Sadhbh by the hand carved recorders.  I found several violins and went for the cheapest one at $80, including case and bow!  I couldn't pass it up.
Chili Heaven
  It was perfect.  I didn't want to bring my own violin from home, and this was cheap enough that I could tote it around South America and sell it when I leave without worrying about damaging it or having it get stolen.  Now we had a the means to make some music on the trail!

We were hungry and needed dinner and as we were walking we saw Stefania and Barney through the window of an international type restaurant.  They were leaving on a night bus and we stopped in to say hi and eat with them and their trekking friends.  The curry was excellent but it was sad to say goodbye to them.  We had such great times together!  Last stop was the supermarket and we stocked up on trail mix, candy and beer.  We'd be well supplied for our trek.  Back at the hostel I went to bed, only to lie awake for many hours, as I had for previous nights.  A combination of the altitude, noise in the hostel and light outside the window, I'm sure.  Sadhbh was going to go to bed as well but was too tempted by the full moon rave up in the mountains with 5 DJ's and at over 4,000 meters, billed as the highest rave in the world.  She couldn't resist and went out with some others, promising to get back by 6 in the morning in time to leave for our trek!
Huaraz