Skip Santa Fe- GO TO TAOS!!!

Santa Fe Travel Blog

Street in Santa Fe
Maybe I am a tough critic, but all I ever heard people say was "you gotta check out Santa Fe, it's awesome! There's so much Indian art, jewelry, etc." Obviously, I HAD to see what this city as well as the capital of New Mexico was all about. Although, my advice was accurate about the mass quantities of Indian relics, I was a little disappointed in Santa Fe. When my I arrived in the plaza, I was in awe at the unique architecture, the live music with people gathered around, and the native Indian tribal people set up on the street displaying their hand-made crafts.  I browsed up and down the rows looking at all the sterling silver and turquois! They truely make beautiful jewelry and crafts. Just be prepared to spend a pretty penny for your artwork.
The drive to Taos
I was not prepared for the prices on some of this jewelry, needless to say I walked away empty-handed.  The plaza area where most of the city-life seemed to be buzzing was a touristy. I would describe it as the "Bourbon Street of New Mexico" With that said, there is hope.  The next day, my family and I drove an hour North to the city of Taos, New Mexico.  Similar to Santa Fe in architecture. They also have the Indian influence with all the art. The drive to Taos was beautiful open roads and the mountains in the distance! When we arrived to Taos, we found a map that showed all the great spots to visit. We first went to a Indian reservation called Pueblo. In there was a community and native Indians selling their crafts.
very cool!
  The whole ordeal felt a lot more authentic. The Indians are very polite and the community was really neat. I was also surprised to find that their prices felt a little more reasonable. I was more compelled to purchase the jewelry because I was able to build a relationship with the artists themselves, that makes my purchase and my artwork feel special. Taos also has a plaza area similar to Santa Fe with more shopping. Oh and we went to dinner at this restaurant called Guadalahara Grill. THE BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER!! GO there. Finally, my family and I checked out the Rio Grande bridge that passes over the gorge. AMAZING and only like 5 mins outside the busy town. So that's my take on New Mexico if you are wanting to find the Indian goods. Try Santa Fe if you like. I still enjoyed it, but I was a little bummed. Taos is where its at.
In Pueblo, Taos