AsiaChinaUrumqi

On the way...

Urumqi Travel Blog

The flight to Urumqi was quite straightforward. The plane had video screens every few rows, and after the safety demonstrations, we were treated to a short cartoon video, featuring rapping pigs, advising about swine flu.  Helpfully there were English subtitles, and to avoid catching it, apparently I have to "Keep good mood", "employ social morality" and "always boiling food". I must have missed the NHS passing on this vital information.

I had a few hours to kill in Urumqi before my onward flight to Kashgar, so I dumped my pack at the left luggage counter, and got a taxi to the museum. As we set off, the taxi driver offered me a cigarette. That's a first.

The guidebook warns of a half hour queue to get into this museum. I walked straight in to a virtually deserted building. That could be something to do with the the four heavily armed sentries standing under rather a sweet gazebo, and the twenty soldiers in full riot gear and shields, guarding the place. I don't think Urumqi is a place many tourists are heading for right now. It was a plus for me though, with so few people there. I can't think when I've ever enjoyed a museum so much. A fantastic new building with the most well preserved and displayed archaeological/anthropological collection I've seen. Amongst other things, beautiful, colourful fabrics, nearly 3,000 years old; bronze wind goggles (!) and incredibly detailed cakes - floral cakes, moon cakes, dumplings, dough twists  with no detail lost and looking almost edible. The mummies, in their original clothes were amazing - far better preserved than anything I've seen in the UK. I loved the place.

Back at the airport, I went through security, only to be told of a three hour (at least) delay. I begged my way back out again, as I knew that the same airline had another flight an hour before mine would depart, so I asked if I could be transferred to that. Better still, they transferred me to another airline's flight, departing in less than an hour. It was like an episode of 'Airline' - people rushing about getting my luggage back, getting me re-ticketed and checked in again in the nick of time.

On the flight, a Uighur couple behind me started to chat (anyone who speaks any English always wants to chat, in China) They were lovely - and the upshot of it all was that they insisted on taking me to my hotel, and invited me to their nephew's wedding tomorrow! Not a bad start to my Xinjiang sojourn.

Urumqi