AsiaChinaKashgar

Subterfuge

Kashgar Travel Blog

Mutton and naan at the market

As Norwiya prepared a breakfast of sheep's cheese, I began to make my farewells to Robert and to the family who'd hosted us. Walking back along the lake in the morning light, to find my driver, was just lovely. Then we set off back along the highway to Kashgar - an opportunity to see all that great scenery again.

As we approached the outskirts of town, we came to a huge traffic jam, where the three lanes of traffic tried to become one, and hardly anything was moving. We could see lots of uighur people walking along in the direction of whatever was causing it. As we got nearer, we could see police and soldiers searching cars. As we got closer still, the driver mimed for me to pretend to be asleep.

Mmmm....figs.
I didn't need telling twice, but frustratingly that meant that  I couldn't look to see why this was happening, and why all the people were walking towards that direction. Anyway, my acting must have been fine, because, apart from the boot being opened, we weren't held up anywhere near as long as some had been. A minute or so after we passed through, the driver said "OK" and I was able to 'wake up'.

I had another wander in the old town, when we got back. The kids love it when foreigners walk round. They shout 'hello' and want their photos taken. I took one boy's photo for him, and the next thing I knew, he'd fetched all his friends and I was having to take all their photos. They want nothing more than to look at the pictures on the back of the camera, and scream with laughter. I had so much fun with them, and playing 'peep bo' with one of the baby siblings. It's still an entirely innocent and pleasurable encounter for the children in Kashgar. Plain fun, with no thought of monetary gain.

Kids in the old town.