Lazy days

Dunhuang Travel Blog

Arty shadow shot of me and Flopsy

I can't tell you how relaxed it feels being here. Everywhere's easy to find and within walking distance. There's a pleasant vibe, and it seems almost stress free compared to where I've been. Last night I found the night market and the hundreds of street food places. Some are in a covered area, but many are on a pedestrianised street. The whole place is given over to stripey deckchairs, where you sit with a beer and wait for your meal to arrive. It was a great atmosphere. The town's very brightly lit at night, too. All the trees are lit up and there's lots of neon. I loved the buzz of the place. Better still, it turns out that I haven't left the land of Chinese barbecue yet! nearly all the outdoor stalls are barbecue, so I could stuff myself with lamb kebabs and chilli and cumin oiled cauliflower, broccoli and slices of potato again.

I spent most of today mooching around...typing up the blog, sitting in cafes, looking round the market...just chilling. To stop myself feeling guilty though, I set off for the dunes in the evening. They're really difficult to climb, so after being provided with bright orange gaiters to stop the sand getting where I wouldn't want it, I hired myself a camel to do the hard work. My camel was exceptionally glamorous. She was one of the few 'blonde' ones. The camels here are nothing like the fairly scabby ones you get in safari parks at home. These are really furry and soft, with nice neck ruffs. They don't seem to be as supercilious either....gentle rather than grumpy.

Anyway, we set off on quite a long ride to the first of the dunes, where I had the option of tobogganing.

I climbed up the dune with some help from some wooden steps, was provided with a bamboo sled, given a great big push, and down I went. It was brilliant! Some people seemed to be going down quite slowly, but mine careered off very satisfyingly. I was tempted to have another go, but Flopsy (my camel's front hump flopped over to the side) was waiting patiently, so we set off on the second part of the trip...to the crescent lake. This is gorgeous...especially so on the photos I'd seen. But of course, those are taken at dawn or some such...and not when it's surrounded by Chinese tourists in orange gaiters. So my pictures are somewhat more prosaic.

It was really fun to do something touristy for a change though, and after reboarding Flopsy and riding the last section of the journey, I wandered round the souvenir stalls happily before heading back to town, and to find myself a deckchair for the evening.

Dunhuang