Last day.

Shanghai Travel Blog

I couldn't help feeling I should have done more with this Shanghai bit of the trip. There are places an hour's journey away, which would be worth seeing, but as I said before, I'm flagging.

I did get up reasonably early though, and set off to the Bund again, to find out about boat trips. It's not hard. As the normal quay isn't available due to the refurbishment of the area, the boat trip companies have sent scores of touts to get customers and then put them on free transport to the new quay over the bridge. These people are very, very persistent. The trip was good though, along the Huangpo river...the Bund and its historic buildings on one side, and the skyscrapers of Pudong on the other. I got into conversation with a young American on board. He lives and works in Singapore, but spends time here and in Beijing, on business every month. I can't help feeling that the life of an ex-pat businessman over here must be very different from what I'd consider 'normal life'.

For lunch, I tried one of the little side streets, fullf 'authentic' (and cheap) little eating places. I just had some steamed dumplings with rice vinegar to dip them in, and a drink. I passed on 'snake heads cooked in two ways' and 'fried frog in spiced salt'.

Then the rain, thunder and lightening started again with a vengeance, and set in for the afternoon. Which is why I'm sat here blogging, and looking up the times of the Maglev train to the airport in the morning. Sadly, according to the website, I'm not going to experience its full speed this time either. The maximum speed is set at 300kph at certain times of day. If only my flight was just a bit later, I'd get the full 430kph experience. Never mind.

Anyway, it's sign off time, I think. I'll be up at six tomorrow, so hardly likely to come back and report on my last night. Which will probably just amount to another stroll along Nanjing Donglu, and avoiding snake or frog for tea.

Ill try to get more photos up on here once I'm home. Thanks for reading this far! See you soon.

oldschoolbill says:
Thank You very much I enjoyed the trip. Where do we go next??
Posted on: Dec 14, 2009