Even lazier

Dunhuang Travel Blog

Dried fruit stall

Having exhausted Dunhunag's sightseeing opportunities (at least the ones that don't take too much effort), it was time to relax. It was good to stay in bed a bit later, then catch up with the blog a bit.

This internet place is really strange. It's small by Chinese standards...maybe 40-50 terminals. The guy who runs it seems to be addicted to a computer snooker game. Whereas at other wangbas,I have to go through various registration stuff (including showing my passport) and then get taken to a specific numbered computer, here, he just glances up (eventually) and waves me towards the bank of them. It's strictly self service. When I'm done, I can't help thinking he'd rather I didn't bother paying. He has to look up from his game....though he makes me wait for ages until he reaches a point where it suits him.

Everyone else in the wangba is male, everyone else is gaming.

I went over to the bus station to see if I could find out about the next stage of my journey. I was pretty pleased with myself. I seem to have worked out some characters enought to have a stab at reading the timetable. I didn't even ask anyone (not that that helps a lot usually). I have to try to find pictures in the characters though, to remember them. There's a little tree in the middle of one, what looks like a table in another...and so on.

I found a little place in the huge covered market, that does the pressed rice and honey things, so I thought I'd go for a snack. Two girls were running the place. A tiny box of a cubicle with two tables. They were chatting and eating plums.

Anoother picture of Flopsy. 'cos she's sweet.
When I'd finished my snack, (at a cost of 7p) one of the girls came over and, with a big smile, gave me two plums. I find Chinese people very confusing. They don't give the appearance of friendliness, and their voices are harsh...but they constantly surprise me like this. If you're struggling up steps with heavy bags, don't expect any help. But if you have a real problem, they'll go to great lengths to help, and not give up until they're sure it's solved...no matter what the inconvenience to themselves. And do anything for them (I picked up a baby's shoe and ran after the grandparents who hadn't noticed it fall) and their faces will be wreathed in smiles and gratitude.

The thing about visiting China (I've no news really, so I'm just pondering to you) is that you just have to get used to the fact that you never have a clue what's going on. The other thing Chinese people tend to go, is argue in the street...or in a cafe...or anywhere. Things get really heated very quickly. Iy's maddening not knowing what's what, and who did what to whom. I'm sure Chinese street life would make a great soap opera or reality TV programme.

oldschoolbill says:
I would fit right in I never have a clue what's going on!
Posted on: Dec 14, 2009
Dried fruit stall
Anoother picture of Flopsy. cos s…
Anoother picture of Flopsy. 'cos …
Chillies out to dry