Florence Travel Blog

Hotel Corona d'Italia: our hotel the first night.

I’m officially in Florence! (Or as the Italians call it, Firenze) I’ve only been here for a day and a half, but it feels like a lot longer. I don’t know if it’s the time difference and the lack of sleep or maybe the fact that today was just jam-packed with so much stuff.

We started by moving into our student housing, which is really nice. The whole place is decked out in IKEA furniture, which I think is kind of funny. I’m sharing a suite with three other girls: Laura, Caitlyn, and Sam. The set up is really nice; nicer than what I had expected. We’re about 3 blocks from the Duomo, which is the main cathedral of Florence.

Today for lunch some of the girls went to this rooftop restaurant above a piazza.

Street view.
The view was amazing. We weren’t really sure what to order, but one of the girls knew more Italian than the rest of us, so she helped the rest of us order sandwiches. I paid 3 euros for a bottle of water! Buying bottled water is going to get old fast.

After lunch we had several orientations. They were long and I was really tired. We all were having trouble paying attention. Classes officially start tomorrow and from what our professor said we’re going to be doing A LOT of walking.

We also took a trip to the supermarket today. I was so unprepared. It was busy and crowded and everything was in Italian. I felt so overwhelmed. It took me a while to calm down and by the time I checked out, most of the people had gone back to the apartment. Luckily I remembered how to get back, but for the first time I was officially “on my own” in a foreign city. It was exciting and nerve-racking at the same time.

My stomach has been bothering me for a while. I don't know if I ate something weird or my body is still adjusting. I've only been drinking warm/room temp. water. I went looking for some colder water but the Tabbachi I went to only had room temp. water for 1,50 euro. If I would have gone around the corner I would have found cold water for 1,20 euro. I know now that I should shop around. Lesson learned.

For dinner tonight a bunch of us girls went to Buca Niccolini, a little cafe down the street. I accidentally ordered a two course meal when all I wanted was a salad and a glass of wine. Lesson #2: make sure you know what you're ordering! Otherwise you'll probably pay more than you meant to.

Tonight we’re just relaxing and enjoying our free time before tomorrow comes around. We’re scheduled to see Ponte Vecchio, Piazza Michelangelo and the San Miniato al Monte Church. I am so excited.

Hotel Corona dItalia: our hotel t…
Hotel Corona d'Italia: our hotel …
photo by: monky