First Night

Kalispell Travel Blog

Walmart Camping
I originally just sent out e-mail updates so people would know that I hadn't got eaten by a bear after each day's hike or was being held captive by a hot but crazy cowgirl after a night of drinkin' but photos were challenging to email and the rest of the trip looks like it is going to be rainy so I'll have time.

Here is the entry from the first day.
I have been due for some Non Seattle Time and with my wealth of free time and the good weather, I threw what I could dust off in the car and drove to Kalispel.  After 12 hours driving I made it.  The attached photo is my camp site for the first night.

It was the best sleep I have had in a Walmart, ever!!  Granted I wasn't sleeping on everything I owned and didn't have a bike pedal sticking me in the kidney all night so it is hard to make an honest comparison.  Woke up feeling good and a couple of twinkies and a bottle of YooHoo  just made it all the better.

I finally found a proper coffee shop (Montana Coffee Roaster) in the small town of Whitefish 20 miles for the Glacier National park entrance.  It is a slacker ski town so I was surprised that it took so long to find one.

The people actually smile here as a general way of holding their lips.  Maybe the altitude lessens the pull of gravity on the corners of their mouths as opposed to sea(ttle) level.

One more cup and I am off to the park for a few days.
photo by: cierra_parker