Long winding road Amarillo to Springield MO

Texas Travel Blog

Risk Management

537 miles.  I was very ambitious and set my alarm for 5:30 AM BUT my California body rebeled and I slept till 5:30 San Diego time.  This is why they call it a vacation.  As you travel from Texas to the Ozarks, the roads green up.  I got to test my California driving skills in several thunder storms and had to ask the attendant where I was while buying gas in Chandler OK.  As I left Texas I saw the luxurious motorhome of the Governor (?!) of the Chicasaw Nation, caption--your Bingo dollars at work and caught a glimpse of the famous 19 story cross in Groom--I am waiting for my friend, Jo-Ellen so we can visit together on the return trip.  Pix then.  So far, Texas has the most luxurous roadside bathroom I have seen.  The people are friendly and welcoming.

Texas Outhouse

Now on to Oklahoma where I mostly drove and drove and drove.  I never found a welcome to OK sign.  Be aware that you will pay to drive on nicely paved roads in this state.  There are roadside signs that say "Keep this land grand"  which got me to humming the theme song from the musical.   I saw a sign that said "original fried pies" and had to stop to try one.  The place is rather daunting but I steeled myself and was rewarded with a "heart attack on a plate" pie that was delicious with a light flakey crust.  Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, enter the bathroom, should you chance upon the FRIED PIES place.  Just close your eyes and eat.

Lots more driving after this--through green rolling hills, valleys, farmland.  Giants seem to play some sort of lawn bowling game with huge toys made of wheat (I think).

Finally, a Welcome to Missouri sign.  Wonderful rock formations cropping out of the roadside.  Hope I can find a place to stop and take pictures tomorrow.

God has sat beside me all the way keeping me safe in His arms.

Chief of the Indians