Day 5: Jakarta Meetup...Minus the Organizer, and a Late Guest of Honor!!

Jakarta Travel Blog

The meetup peeps, minus Berlin!

One sure way to sow dissension is to cause me to be late! LOL!! As a very punctual person, I hate being late!!! And thanks to AirAsia, that’s exactly what I was for my own meet-up in Jakarta. The flight to Jakarta from Kuala Lumpur is only 2 hours, so I had left plenty of time to spare before the meet-up was to begin. But as I waited on the delayed flight in KL for 2 extra hours, I knew my spare time was exhausted, and then some. AirAsia is an economy airline, but they have a terrible reputation as having many delayed flights. As I looked at the board, I realized that all 12 flights listed were delayed. All of them! Actually, 2 had been canceled, altogether. So at least I was happy that my flight wasn’t canceled.

I spent the 2 hour flight wisely and slept (something I was short on).

Our meetup location
Landing in Jakarta at 7:30pm, I knew that by the time I went through immigration and took a taxi to my hotel it would be almost 9…the meet-up was supposed to start at 8. As it turned out, the drive from the airport into Jakarta takes about an hour. The one thing in my favor, which I learned from the cab driver, was that I had gained an hour in time difference from KL. So when I reached the hotel it was just after 8. I called Berlin (good_shepherd) to let her I know I finally made it. Unfortunately, Berlin was sick and would not be able to make it. She gave me the directions to get to our meet-up location and I hurried to the lobby to hail a cab.

Sometime around 9 pm I finally arrived at the mall where the Foodism restaurant was on the 7th floor.

I had little trouble in finding it, and when I entered the establishment I spotted the TB group immediately. It was Yanti and Asri who I recognized first. And one by one, some of the other faces looked familiar…Alice, Rizky, Sandy, and Bil. I felt really bad about being late, and I could see that everyone had already had their meal or was close to finishing it. I think I apologized for my tardiness, but everyone was so nice and seemed happy that I had showed up at all!

I knew that everyone here probably had no clue where Missouri is (the state I live in), so I thought I’d bring some little gifts from the “show-me” state to pass out. I hope now they will never forget the state! Asri also presented me with a gift from Indonesia that I’m going to frame. I will take a picture of it and post it. Thank you, Asri! That was very sweet of you. I ordered my food and then enjoyed the wonderful company at our table.

Alice, Yanti, James, and Asri
It still never ceases to amaze me of the terrific people I meet on TB. I used to go to a meet-up wondering what the people were going to be like, but after the many meet-ups I have already attended, I don’t wonder anymore; I just know that some good friendships are going to be forged.

So after a couple of hours of great fellowship, a few TravBuddies had to be going. This was Monday night, a work night, and people had to be up early. This made me appreciate everyone who came even more! Sandy, Bil, and Yanti had to leave, but we took some pictures first (of course). From there, Rizky, Asri, and I rode with Alice to Melly’s bar & resto where we enjoyed Indonesia’s own, Bintang beer! I was told it was made by Heineken, but this was really good beer! I can’t wait to get back and have some more.

With Asri
The bar was very nice…Alice explained that it was fashioned to look like a typical bar you might find in Bali. We had just an amazing evening socializing, and I think it was around 3:30 am when I was dropped off at the hotel.

In attendance:

www.travbuddy.com/Sandy_ryanto

www.travbuddy.com/Yantisoeparno

www.travbuddy.com/pearcetoyou

pearcetoyou says:
Thank you Aioh and Mike! The Good Shepherd was able to make it the next day, so not all was lost!! haha
Posted on: Aug 06, 2009
Lord_Mike says:
Looks like great times...too bad the Good Shepherd got sick!
Posted on: Aug 05, 2009
aiohdmg says:
Buahahaha...I cannot wait comming meetup in Bali!
James!!! Dont forget na, nexttime you should break my Hellkok (^___________________^)
Posted on: Aug 05, 2009
With Alice
With Alice
With Bil
With Bil
Our stop after the meetup with Ali…
Our stop after the meetup with Al…
Bintang...excellent Indonesian bee…