Nice experience in Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

Copacabana Beach

This February I visited Brazil. In this beautiful country, I had many good experience and memory.  Brazil is famous for football, samba dancing and barbecue. When I had brazilian barbecue in US, I can't help thinking of this amazing country.

After put on sunscreen lotion, I headed for beach. In Rio, Copacabana Beach is a must-go place.

Copacabana Beach
 Life is vibrant here. Thousands of people make their way to and from the beach. Either just strolling along or exercising along the beach, jogging or on bicycle. Along the beach, many shops provide people with different kinds of drinking, especially coconut juice. It was more stimulating to do jogging and walking in Avenida Atlantica than in rua Vieira Soto (next to Ipanema beach). I also find lots of people doing any types of activities in here, reading, talking, playing beach-volleyball, sleeping, bathing......

The main purpose I visit Brazil in February is for The Carnaval.

Christ Statue
This world famous event is always linked with fantastically and scantily garbed dancers, pounding samba rhythms and parades. That day I stayed up all night from 8pm to 6am to watch the parade. It's awesome! I enjoyed every minute of that long night, took lots of pictures.

All the samba schools compete for the best of the year. Each district chooses a theme and the parade is about that theme. All clothes, alegoric cars and everything begins to be prepared for the next year as soon as that year's Carnaval is over. It's an amazing show, full of colour, music, rhythm and lights. No one who goes to Rio at that time of year should miss it. To have a place at the Sambodromo you have to buy a ticket. They usually cost $200-300 but it's well worth the money. It's a life time experience!

The parade was held in Sambodrome which took about 25 minutes by driving from my hotel.

Sugar Loaf
The four days and nights of Carnaval in Rio are the lavish self-indulgent anything-goes exotic exhibitionist spectacle the world sees. They are the result of year-long planning organizing practicing and fantasies, and a lot of hard work! The Sambodrome was in fact a street bordered of terraces designed for the processions of samba.

Corcovado Hill is a must-go place. It is almost impossible to conceive a trip to Rio de Janeiro without paying a visit to the statue of Christ The Redeemer. Located at the top of Corcovado Hill, it is Brazil's most known image throughout the world. The Statue of Christ stands 30 meters high, covered in a mosaic of soapstone. And the best way to get there is by the Corcovado train. To reach the top of Corcovado Hill, the train crossed the largest urban forest of the planet, also the first one to be replanted. The trip started at Cosme Velho Station, a pretty old one which is now part of the Brazilian Historical Patrimony.

Party in Rio
The Tijuca Forest is located at the heart of Rio de Janeiro and separates the South and North zones of the city.

After arrived at the foot of hill, I took the train to the top of hill. The Christ statue is huge!  Standing below it, I felt a little over-awed by religious devotion on such a grand scale. I tried my best to have good shoot, including whole statue and some people on the ground. Maybe it's better to view it taking a helicopter. The sight of Rio de Janeiro at my feet was really breathtaking.This is probably the best place to see all the contrasts: mountains and sea, forests and beaches.

I took the cable car to access to the famous Sugar loaf. The height and unmistakable outline of Sugar loaf makes it one of the main attractions of Rio de Janeiro.The most popular way of reaching the top is to take the cable car - a system that has been in operation since 1912. The first leg of the ascent took me from Praia Vermelha to a height of 220m above sea level and stops at the summit of Morro da Urca.

Carnaval
On this plateau lies an amphitheatre, restaurants, and shops.The second leg completes the journey to the Sugar Loaf over a distance of 750m. Similar facilities exist at the final stop, which offers views of the oceans and beaches, the city and the mountains as far away as the Tijuca National Park. I had icecream at the top of Sugar loaf.

Besides the Carnaval event, I also watched other small scale party in Rio. My first impression on Rio is that although it's a poor city, Brazilian people are passionate and happy! They were good dancers and entertainers. When I took pictures for the opera house in a small square, some local guys asked me to take picture and posed funny.

stephengriff says: