Traveling, free from the constraints of money

Portsmouth Travel Blog

A man and woman approach me on the street.  Undoubtedly they noticed my t-shirt.  We talk for a moment, and agree to go back to their place.  I give them both a massage, and then they let me have dinner with them and sleep on their couch (what were you expecting!?).  This is part of the agreement.  Tomorrow, I will move on and try and do the same with some new people.

My t-shirt doesn’t need to say anything, but this makes it easier.  What it does say is simple: Ask me how to get free stuff!  It sounds commercial, or it sounds like a scam, but in this case, free stuff means services such as massage, yard work, computer support, cleaning, farm help, web design, and any other skills I have to offer or that may be needed.  In return, I get a meal and a bed for the night, not to mention the experience of getting to know people from another part of the world.

And there is my dream of traveling, free from the constraints of money.

I first ask whether one can one really travel like this, but then I question (albeit, unrealistically), why can’t the entire world work like this?

As you’ve gathered, none of that is reality today, and it’s just one of many ideas I have for when I finally do hit the road.  I wouldn’t like to do it all the time, but I’d certainly like to try it.  So much so that I really am thinking about going back to school to learn some universally needed skills.  Though I’m sure some cultures don’t accept it, Massage Therapy seems like it might be good for bartering with in many corners of the world.

Has anyone tried this?  Do you have good suggestions on skills to offer to pay your way?  Share your experiences!

tenderchicken22 says:
look at - it's like your idea, but you don't have to wear a t-shirt and you can do a little more planning in advance
Posted on: Jul 24, 2009