So I Figured Out What I Want To Do With My Life (At 29), But I Still Can’t Escape My Cubicle!

Portsmouth Travel Blog

I don’t think there’s anything that drives one to seek out adventure more than being stagnant for long periods of time, and there’s certainly a check mark next to that box for me.  Sitting at a desk for a pharmaceutical company for the last 8+ years has given me no satisfaction, though plenty of time to think about what more there is to life.

The answer, to me, is exploring every corner of our beautiful planet.

Unfortunately I’m still sitting here for the time being, trying to figure out how to escape my cubicle, as I try to put my new long term traveling plans into action.  The two biggest hurdles are that I cannot get anyone to buy my house that has been on the market for about thirty months, and that I have two children who are too young to bring with me.  The house is an easy one, but the children more complicated.  It would have been great to have figured out my traveling desires long before I was married and had kids (and ultimately divorced).  Of course, I will never have regret when it comes to my children as they mean more than anything to me.

There are two important factors for me when it comes to my children: their financial support and being there to be their father.  So in short, I have to have a job to support my children, and I cannot travel long term or I won’t be there to be their father.  Does that mean I have to wait until 2023 to begin my adventures when both my children will be 18+ and I will no longer have to pay child support?  Yes and no.  I think that will be the case for any long term travel, though hopefully as they grow older, they will be able to join me on some of my travel adventures.  I’ve learned from reading some great travel articles that you can have an adventure right on your doorstep.  What I’m looking for in traveling is a sense of being somewhere I’ve never been before, and there are plenty such places all around me.  That, coupled with trips of up to a couple of weeks in length will be where I draw my satisfaction for now

What I will do with the time in between my little adventures will be to better prepare myself for my future big adventures in a slew of different ways such as physically, spiritually, financially, improving my knowledge, planning, determining what equipment I need, etc.  In short, I simply don’t know very much right now, though I expect that’s how may first time travelers felt, and may still feel each time they set out on a new journey - isn’t that the key to all of this?  Exploring the unknown?

The unknown is certainly plentiful for me at this point in time.  Nothing is definite.  I wonder to myself whether I will be doing this with or without money.  Can I become a successful enough travel writer to fund my exploration of the world, and if not, should I start buying books about foraging so I can become a true vagabond and live off the land and sleep under the stars?  Do I look at another aspect of vagabonding by offering skills such as massage, farm work, photography, web design, yard work, etc, in exchange for a meal and a bed?  I suppose the real question in that is do I want to see the world, or do I want to feel free in the world?  Yes, I can do both, but if money is plentiful, seeing it would be a lot faster, and likely easier.

I’ve kept these aspirations mostly to myself, for until they become a little more concrete, I’m not ready to have those close to me assess that this is a passing fantasy.  I will indeed admit that until I fully act on these plans, they may be just that.  Not that I believe it.

Stevie_Wes says:
A very thoughtful piece of writing pal. I like the way you are beginning to disect the various ways we can appreciate our geographical environment even by a shift in mentality... besides splashing all the cash and stepping on a plane. That said right now I'm bustin' grooves all around the globe but approaching nearly a year on I can sense the 'journey inside' and 'visions of the future' are beginning to take my focus away from the physical here and now and new everyday. I hope you find the freedoms you want soon enough at home, in heart and abroad.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2009
Eric says:
Oh, and for traveling for an extended amount of time on a budget, I'd recommend checking out Deat's blog here: www.travbuddy.com/Deats/blogs
Posted on: Jul 23, 2009
Eric says:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! I think a lot of people on TravBuddy feel the same way. I'd love to get out for a longer trip but work on the site gets busier and busier (not that I mind too much). I like the idea of "exploring" as just seeing something new, and that it doesn't have to be half way across the world. The last 2 years I've done lots of short weekend trips with my girlfriend around the LA area, or just explored neighborhoods we haven't been to before, and the feeling of discovery is still there.
Posted on: Jul 23, 2009