Scary and Scenic Drive Through the Rockies

Rocky Mountain National Park Travel Blog

me in front of sign

I arrived at the entrance of RMNP, where I bought a ticket for $20. Good for 7 days, but too bad that I will only use it for 2 of those days. Then entered the national park itself. More about visiting RMNP in the review here.

Then onto Trail Ridge Road, which is the main road through the park, taking me through the mountains. As I went higher in elevation, the air got thinner and colder. I did feel lightheaded and dizzy at times. I drank water, hoping it would offset these symptoms. And the biggest issue, is driving along the edge of a cliff, with no rails. I made sure I did not take any lengthy hikes, hoping to conserve energy.

But despite these issues, this place is well worth the time. The drive would take me to some great scenery of the snow-capped mountains.

view of Rocky Mountains
And a mountain stream flowing down the side of the mountain. Plus I got to see some wildlife, like the elk grazing near a lake.

I would pass by the Continental Divide, which is only marked by a sign. At that point, I should have turned around. Not much to see after that, and the road becomes a bumpy gravel one, which is not fun to drive on, but I hoped to loop around the park to avoid driving along the cliff. But the only back is on Trail Ridge Road, which meant... yes, I had to drive along the edge of a cliff. And it was getting dark, making it more difficult.

Needless to say, I was very nervous, with the only thing I could see are snow-capped mountains, which at this point, not as enjoyable to see. I drove very slow, and seeing a stream of water on the road, which could freeze, just added to my worries. One skid and a fall off the cliff.

I was able to make it back to Estes Park. By then, the town has closed down. But no big deal. Just happy to have made it back alive!

WalterC says:
Thanks. And yeah, it was definitely worth it, as it was unbelievably scenic! :)
Posted on: Mar 16, 2016
monkeymia79 says:
Your photos are beautiful Walter, the views are stunning.

While the drive was scary, I'm sure you felt it was worth it too.
Posted on: Mar 15, 2016
cotton_foam says:
I agree with Bill!! I will come back to read the story, so no, smile yet on the journal ok?! :))
Posted on: Mar 15, 2016
snow on the Rockies
lake
lake
Rocky Mountain National Park Sights & Attractions review
Despite the danger, very much worth going
Located near the town of Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park is a scenic and sometimes dangerous park to drive through. Estes Park is a good base… read entire review
photo by: MarcMokum