Eighty eight wonderful canals

Leuven Travel Blog

Even though we have moved from Flemish-speaking Leuven to French-speaking Brussels I am spending a lot more time learning Flemish now. I am practicing with conversation CDs and flashcards and am getting much better at reading in Flemish. Speaking Flemish remains an enormous hurdle, as my pronunciation is so appalling that I just get blank looks, and writing in Flemish is an impossibility as my brain keeps on writing Dutch words with English phonetics. It will be a long time before I will be able to say I saw eighty eight wonderful canals in Dutch (“achtentachtig prachtige grachten” is a tounge-twister for even native Dutch speakers).

ik-ben-10eke says:
The 88 canals are easy to pronounce, but as lamadude said, the koetsier poetst de postkoets is much easier in typing than in pronounciation...

Succes with the conversation lessons :)
Posted on: Jul 29, 2009
lamadude says:
Good luck with studying Flemish!

That sound file is a verrrry hollandic pronounciation of the g sound. It would have sounded a lot softer in Flemish. I made a sound file http://tinyurl.com/l4o5ql of how I would pronounce it (yes I do have too much free time ;-)
It's not really hard to pronounce, it does sound funny though :-) A classic tongue-twister is "de koetsier poetst de postkoets" (the wagonner cleans the stage coach) which I find very hard to say when speaking fast :-)
Posted on: Jul 23, 2009