An unexpected leaf peeping trip

Aurora Travel Blog

Leaf Peeping along Route 9 in Maine

On Friday afternoon I left a bridge re-dedication ceramony in Belfast Maine to drive to Massachusetts for my 10 year high school reunion which took place that Sunday.  Sunday I attended the reunion and maybe slept for 4 hours before the early drive back to Maine on Monday.  It seemed as if I had done nothing but show up, turn around, and leave for every event I had planned this weekend.  The whole reason to leaving early on Monday was so that I could get some sleep before a meeting I had later that night.

So now here we are on Monday, its about 8am and I get a call to drive another four hours north to resuce my parents and my aunt whose truck had broken down near Big Lake.  Off to the rescue I went with the largest cup filled with hot tea I could find.

Leaf Peeping along Route 9 in Maine

Luckily I did not have to drive back, I did however cease the opportunity to do some roadside leaf peeping.  Route 9 in Maine is a long drive, there are only small towns many of which are not even towns.  Some are plantaions, or are just designated by a number.  Luckily in the fall the road side scenery turns into absolute eye candy.  Usually when people take a leaf peeping drive they are better equipped.  I had nothing but a cell phone camera and managed to snap off these few pictures on the way home.  The lack of traffic on Route 9 makes it a nice leaf peeping drive.  You dont have to get up early to fight and circle for parking spots like you do over at Acadia NP.

....and in case anyone is wondering, no I did not make it to my meeting that night.  I finally went to sleep and stayed asleep

Sweetski says:
I love going on leaf peeping trips and on fresh fallen snow crunching trips, for that matter :D

Be careful not to deprive yourself of too much sleep :)
Posted on: Dec 19, 2011