Searsport

Searsport Travel Blog

I spotted my first Harbor Seal, but he disappeared before I could get a picture of him, I guess he was just camera shy.  Maybe he just didn’t like us fishing off the pier; I know the seagulls were happy.  One guy went to cast and the gull caught it in mid air and got himself hooked, fighting with a seagull is not fun, and not very productive in the means of catching fish.  I wish I had gotten a picture of that too but we were all focused on helping the bird.

Searsport is another of my favorite fishing spots; it is such a nice looking town.  As you drive through, you will notice numerous mansions along route one, most of them have been converted into bed and Breakfasts, some are still private residences.  These mansions used to belong to the sea captains of back in the day.  The Penobscot River is a major shipping line into the area, and it was back then as well.    The Marine Museum does a great job retelling the history of the area.  It is located right in downtown Searsport along US Route 1.  It is very difficult to miss, as it stands alone and is set back from the road.  It looks almost out of place when compared to the rest of the buildings that surround it.

Searsport may not look like much but it has its own assortment of attractions, weather it is just fishing off the town pier, a visit to the Marine Museum, or perhaps the annual bed race in the fall.

vances says:
And let's not forget Sears Island --> check out this video and feel free to get in touch if you'd like to help preserve this majestic island!

Posted on: Jul 25, 2009
Searsport Hostels review
Oceanside Camping
I had an opertunity to saty at Searsport Shore Campground when a relative came to visit and wanted to find a place to camp with her new pop-up camper.… read entire review
Searsport