Eastport Travel Blog

Show of hands...who knew that the largest whirlpool in the western hemisphere was located between Eastport Maine and Deer Island Canada?  I did but I am well versed in useless facts like this.

While we were out shopping for camp supplies I convinced my mother and aunt to make the short drive over the Eastport Maine.  Eastport claims to be the easternmost city in the United States so between that fact and the whirlpool fact I had to visit and take lots of pictures.

I wanted to find a boat to take me across the whirlpool but on such short notice I could not locate one which means I will have to come back.

We found the whirlpool and at first we were not sure where we could view it because we had to walk across someone’s backyard to get to it.  The woman who owned the house came out in her bathrobe and told us to go right ahead (only in Maine does this happen).  I wasn’t sure how popular this spot would be but we met up with two other families who wanted to see the whirlpool as well, and the actions of the homeowner led me to believe the whirlpool does get a considerable amount of visitation.  We watched the whirlpool for about 30 minutes, and I laughed myself into side splitting pain when a group of sea gulls landed around the vortex and began moving in circles on the surface of the water.

Eastport